Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't switch to another window when Spotify is the active one

Solved!

Can't switch to another window when Spotify is the active one

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When my Spotify App is open and it's the active window I can't switch to another window (neither with Alt+Tab nor with clicking on something else in the task bar or whatever).

To go to another window i HAVE to minimize or close Spotify which is very annoying for me as I never do it that way.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Sounds like the Spotify window might have become "Always on top". This is a special type of status for a window that is not normally available for a user to choose, though some special programs like the Task Manager has it as an option. When active no other window is ever shown above this window, regardless of which window has focus.

Hmm, let's google Spotify "Always on top".  Ah 🙂  You are not the first with this problem. Google has an answer for you: [Windows] Spotify window always stays on top - The Spotify Community

if you still experience this issue try disabling the hardware acceleration. You can do this from the three dots in the upper left corner -> View - deselect the Hardware Acceleration

Even just disabling hardware acceleration then turning it back on after spotify restarts worked for me.

Hope this solves it for you too 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Sounds like the Spotify window might have become "Always on top". This is a special type of status for a window that is not normally available for a user to choose, though some special programs like the Task Manager has it as an option. When active no other window is ever shown above this window, regardless of which window has focus.

Hmm, let's google Spotify "Always on top".  Ah 🙂  You are not the first with this problem. Google has an answer for you: [Windows] Spotify window always stays on top - The Spotify Community

if you still experience this issue try disabling the hardware acceleration. You can do this from the three dots in the upper left corner -> View - deselect the Hardware Acceleration

Even just disabling hardware acceleration then turning it back on after spotify restarts worked for me.

Hope this solves it for you too 🙂

Thanks a bunch!
That helped.

Please note that I had the same issue on Mac, and that quite weirdly the same solution worked 😅 (disabling Hardware Acceleration)

Suggested posts