Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant open spotify

Solved!

Cant open spotify

When I try to open spotify, it needs to download which is odd because it is installed, and when its trying to install I get this message, "The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry." 

Ive tried retsarting my PC, uninstalling spotify and deleting my appdata and all traces of spotify on my computer, nothing has fixed it, and Im on windows 10.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I fixed it, i tried to reinstall it, once again and got the same error message but I went into my appdata to see if something was missing, like a .dll file or something, and the spotify application was there and I opened it, and it worked.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi there, welcome to the Spotify Community! Let's try to troubleshoot this issue with you.

First of all, please try a clean reinstallation. This can resolve many common issues.

If you're still having trouble after a reinstall, please let us know the following details:
1. Exact Device
2. Exact operating system
3. Spotify app version installed

If the app is not responding please follow these steps:
1. Start "Task Manager" by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete (Ctrtl+Shift+Esc for Windows). "Task Manager" should pop up or you will be prompted to select it
2. In "Task Manager" select the processes tab and scroll down until you reach processes involved with Spotify. For example, spotify.exe.
3. Select and end each process by clicking on the process and then clicking the end process button near the bottom right corner of "Task Manager"
4. Once these processes disappear from the list reopen the Spotify app.

Ive already tried a clean reinstall, and Im on a windows 10 PC, and I cant open spotify so I dont know how to check my version, but I'd assume its the latest version, but its the desktop version if thats what you mean

Thank you but it's crucial to follow the right steps to get you over this one 🙂

This is a more advanced uninstall process:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.

2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify.

However, since you say that you have done that, have you tried to install the Windows Store version of Spotify? What about the Task Manager, what do you see about Spotify when you open it? 

Which is the exact version of you Windows 10? You can find it by pressing Windows+R on your keyboard and then typping winver on the search box.

Thanks!

The windows store version is what I had at first, and that obviously stopped working, the app is uninstalled so I have nothing in the task manager, and my win 10 version is 1803.

Marked as solution

I fixed it, i tried to reinstall it, once again and got the same error message but I went into my appdata to see if something was missing, like a .dll file or something, and the spotify application was there and I opened it, and it worked.

Suggested posts