Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Connecting to Chromecast from Windows Desktop Client

Solved!

Connecting to Chromecast from Windows Desktop Client

When I want to use spotify connect to connect to my chromecast, I need to use my android phone/tablet versionn of spotify to connect first, then take over that connect session from my desktop client. It's imposible to directly connect to the chromecast from my desktop client 

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start Spotify on phone
  2. Connect to my Chromecast
  3. Start Spotify on my desktop. It automaticly connects to the connect session between my phone and Chromecast
  4. Kill Spotify on phone
  5. Use desktop client to control Chromecast

What steps you’ve tried already:

No devices are shown in the "choose device to play to" button on desktop client. Chromecast is found on phone

Your device and operating system (e.g. MacBook Air, 10.10 OSX)

Windows 10 I7 based computer / Samsung S6 android smartphone

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

1.0.15.133.gf21970bd 

Best regards 

Jan Skrubbeltrang

136 Replies

It's a workaround that doesn't let you use the higher quality you paid for. I just got an audio chromecast and I'm super disappointed I cant cast from the app.

Have you tried AirParrot?

I'm getting some lag from the Chromecast when setting up that way... you?

You could use the webplayer and chromecast extension to chrome until they get it implemented in the desktop clients.

I get some lag or stuck playback, stream starts as paused and pressing play
on device (phone or computer) sometimes does nothing, sometimes starts the
stream and sometimes skip to next track and starts playback... But I blame
my lousy Wifi for that behavior 😞

An even easier workaround: Use Spotify web player, and just cast the tab with the chrome extension. 🙂

any idea abotu the full spotify support to chromecast audio from PC ?

We pay for premium account. Please fix it

Hello!

Any news regarding Chromecast on Desktop will be announced in the ideas topic here:
[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Connect device list

Make sure to add your kudos and comments there. 😉

solved!!!!! 

I would not think so, start over and do it right, please

The pc client is useless.

The Android app is useless to edit playing

Had my subscriptions many years now I will reconsider soon 🔜 

ast update broke the desktop client (not devices available to play on) and also the web client too.

RIP Spotify , please fix 🙂

Hi is it so hard? It's incredible that spotify can't fix it.. And I have a premium account and I pay for that!

Still not fixed? I can't see my chromecasts from Spotify on Windows 10 (Surface Pro 4). Honestly, if this won't be fixed soon, I'll cancel my family subscription and move to Google Play Music.

Me too two moths for free with chromecast that is working....

The reason why the desktop clients don't support Chromecast is because Google doesn't provide support for desktop in their cast SDK.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/sender_apps

Only supported platforms are Android, iOS and Chrome. Spotify is a CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) application and CEF doesn't have support for Chromecast (yet).

Hi,
So why does it then works great with the Chrome webbrowser to listen??

Goole has made a browser extension to Chrome that can be used to cast web pages to Chromecast. When casting the web player on Chrome you are not casting Spotify to Chromecast but you are casting the whole web page. Casting with iOS or Android start an application on Cromecast that plays Spotify. That application can't be started with a desktop application (yet).

Thanks, this is what I have been doing. I thought there would be a more elegant and easy way. It is not as if Google Chromecast is unheard of.

when a real solution will be available???? it is icredible spotify can t fix this!

Spotify windows client worked well just couple weeks ago , so this is not valid excuse. 

Suggested posts