Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Delete radio station

Solved!

Delete radio station

Hi

I accidentally added a radio station for someone I really didn't want to but can't find a way to delete them from my list

Can anyone please help and tell me how to?
253 Replies

Yeah this is driving me crazy... some douche played Rhianna on my work computer and now I have Rhianna polluting my radio stations without any chance of removing it. It hurts, it tramples on all my aesthetic nerves, please make it STOP!

It's been a few more months since this post, and over a year since I can find the first complaints about the issue.  Is the workaround still to ask users to create new radio stations until they push out the ones you don't like?  I'd like to delete some radio stations I was playing around with as well as the token artist supplied by Spotify and this seems like it would be a basic feature.  Many thanks.

Yes unfortunately the best answer is to create new stations to push the old ones out.  Spotify still has the obvious answer - just give us a "Delete" option - on their "to do" list - but they also just keep ignoring the MANY requests and statements about this option.  I have given up my Spotify Premium subscription so I'm not providing them any $ - to make me feel better.  I just don't understand why they don't make the delete option available.

I can't believe that you can't delete stations. That seems like it should of been a pretty basic feature to add since the beginning. I understand that the ability to delete stations is not required to enjoy the service, but it makes the service way more enjoyable, and I'm more likely to begin paying for it once this feature gets added in. I don't think Spotify realizes how important this feature is, and how many people want it, even if it is on their top ten list. Adding in this feature could potentially lead them into getting more paying customers, like myself. It is annoying and frustrating to have to search through stations to find a specific one. At the same time, you can't even search by name. Sometimes its hard to tell what music the station will play just by reading the name of the original artist you used to create the station, because stations evolve over time.

Marked as solution

Ditto.  I actually was a Premium subscriber, but canceled my subscription - out of principal, really.  You would think this would be a basic - but apparently not to the chiefs at Spotify.  They can do without my 5 bucks or whatever it was for Premium - but sure wish they would realize it might be kind of lucrative for them to actually provide a basic service to those of us who would pay for an actual "premium" service!

TBH, radio listeners aren't exactly Spotify's niche market. 

Build a gazillion artist playlists and shuffle your library.  You'll never hear a track you don't like.

Just because the majority of Spotify's profits may not come directly from people who use the service primarily for radio stations, that does not mean that they should ignore that group. Like I said eariler, adding features such as the ability to delete stations, as well as rename them could potentially increase the amount of premium users, such as myself. I know it would be a waste of resources to include these features if I was the only person interested in them, however that is not the case. There are a lot of people that are interested in these basic features. However, just because most people do not care enough to voice an opinion online, that doesn't mean we should ignore them completely. Do a simple Google search with the words, "Spotify delete radio station" and you will get 195,000 results.

Escendrix wrote:

Just because the majority of Spotify's profits may not come directly from people who use the service primarily for radio stations, that does not mean that they should ignore that group.

I would venture to say that not only is it not the majority, it is a very small, but vocal, minority.  If you use Spotify primarily for radio, you haven't done your homework.  For Spotify its nothing more than a 'me too' feature.

adding features such as the ability to delete stations, as well as rename them could potentially increase the amount of premium users, such as myself.

Highly doubtful.  Only a small increase, unless they totally revamp the entire radio app.  The delete button is the least of their problems with radio.  The entire radio algorithm is seriously flawed.  When I first used it the app returned artists totally unrelated to the artist chosen.  I honestly believe their radio strategy is 'don't throw good money after bad.'  I'm sorry to say, but its obvious that social features and apps is where they are putting their time and money these days.

Do a simple Google search with the words, "Spotify delete radio station" and you will get 195,000 results.

"Spotify social media strategy" gets over a million hits, over 5x more than delete radio station.  This is the hot ticket for their marketing department, not radio.

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of paid users use the radio feature over half of the time.  10 bucks says its quite low.  I certainly wouldn't pay money for it when I can find much better services free online.  Internet radio providers are a dime a dozen.

If you're trying to convince me that the people who use Spotify mainly for the radio feature is such a small group of people that Spotify doesn't want to take the time to cater to their basic needs because they think its wasting money, than why the hell would you include the radio feature in the first place. If it doesn't make a difference in your profits, than there is really no point to add a feature that takes time and man power to create. 

I can tell you why they added it. They included the radio feature as part of their service to make their product stand out from the crowd. If the majority of people using Spotify do not use the radio feature, atleast they know its there if they want to use it. It makes people feel like they are getting their money's worth, and that the product is of a higher quality compared to similar services without the radio feature. Right? I mean, if that was the case, the radio feature would be severely lacking and would feel "tacked-on" as a last minute feature. But this simply is not the case.

The radio feature works quite well. I have had a pleasant experience using it. And to me, its part of the Spotify experience. I can start a radio station and its probably going to begin by playing music that I already know and enjoy. But eventually it will play something new that I haven't heard before that I really like, and so I'll click on their profile. And than I can follow them for updates, and add their music to a playlist. This should be what spotify is about, atleast it should be a big portion.

Furthermore, the radio feature appears to be a primary function of Spotify because it allows me to find new artists and save their playlists like I mentioned before, but it also has other features. Such as, I can play and pause radio, I have unlimited skips, and I can move the time slider to any position to skip part of a song, to rewind it, and to fast forward. Other radio services such as Pandora, do not include these features! So why does Spotify include them? Because they obviously understand that many users will use their service for the radio feature. They included the above features to make their product stand out from other services. Because they understand that there is a market for radio listeners. If they did not want to market their product to radio users than they would have not spent the time to include those features.

I am a long time Pandora user. When I first heard about Spotify I was amazed that I could do the above features, this made me want to pay for the product. However, I like to test-drive products before buying them if possible, so I did. I found the radio feature to be really nice, but it did not meet my needs completely, so I have yet to sign up for spotify premium. And trust me, that 195,000 results may not be a lot compared to a million results, but it is still a lot nevertheless.

I would not be spending my time to reply to this thread if I felt the radio feature was poorly developed, because I know that if part of the software is poorly developed, than the rest of it is going to be. I am talking from experience. The thing that is confusing is that the radio feature is quite nice, but it is not the best it can be. And this is why I am voicing my thoughts on here.

In summary, clearly Spotify knows that there is a market for radio listeners, and that is why they include a lot of features and that is also why it doesn't feel tacked on, but why not include a few more basic features. We are not asking them to create some new feature that nobody has ever done before, and its going to take a lot of manpower. I would never do that. However, we are asking them to provide basic features that other radio services provide. And if they want to keep up competition with those other services they should include them. And you can't try and convince me that they do not see a market in radio listeners, because its evident that they do, albeit may not be their main audience or source of profit.

Just to add my 2 cents...

Seeing a radiostation I didn't create (came default after installing app) actually makes me dislike the band/artist IMMEDIATELY. It's crap-versting a radio station (band) I didn't ask for.I don't want to listen to them based on that alone. I simply don't want teen pop *crap* in my list.

As an example, when commercials play a song in the background - it is most likely that the band's record company is shelling out $$$ to promote bad/bland music that would not make it on its own. That is called forced play.

I like the free music, but c'mon. At least let me delete the station I've been staring at for months.

I am to the point of cancelling Spotify for this reason.  I am a premium account member and want to shoot myself!!!!  I would prefer if I could have my entire account deleted and start over.  HOW FREAKING HARD IS IT????  This si clearly a problem that is affecting all of your customers.  Why has this not been addressed.  I wrote an email asking to pursue having my acount rebooted and they sent me this generic letter back that was absolutely ZERO help.  FIX YOUR PROGRAM!  

@user-removed wrote:

I am to the point of cancelling Spotify for this reason.  I am a premium account member and want to shoot myself!!!!  I would prefer if I could have my entire account deleted and start over.  HOW FREAKING HARD IS IT????  This si clearly a problem that is affecting all of your customers.  Why has this not been addressed.  I wrote an email asking to pursue having my acount rebooted and they sent me this generic letter back that was absolutely ZERO help.  FIX YOUR PROGRAM!  

Double post. 

And I understand the issue perfectly.  Add another radio station if you don't like the ones you've created and stop looking at the software.  HOW FREAKING HARD IS IT????

Rollo_: I think the main point that I tried to make - and that others have reiterated in the thread - isn't so much about <<SNIP>> about how hard it is to delete stations.  I think the point is - and should be - it seems to me that this is a feature that should be available.  I'm not a programmer - but I wouldn't think this is a huge problem for Spotify to resolve.  I mean, it's not healthcare.gov!  Especially weird is why are they turning off customers who actually want to pay for Premium or Unlimited?  Just a thought.  Peace.

[Edit: Language - Peter]

@ScottD - I don't think anyone will argue with you, this "issue" is a pain for everyone, even if your someone like me who doesn't use radio - dealing with the number of complaints here on the community takes time and effort. I wish Spotify would just implement it and be done with it in all honesty. 

I've just snipped out the swearing in your post, we have quite a few younger users here on the community - so best to keep it clean ;).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter - apologies.  I didn't realize I actually used "swear words" in my post.  I don't swear in real life - a lot - and NEVER when I'm posting online.  Can't imagine what happened - or what you saw - but I didn't actually have to resort to swearing regarding something like this.

Thanks Peter.  Just wondering why they can't simply provide this option!  🙂

...or they don't want to - but why?!

I just started my 30 days period to see if I change from Pandora, where I have a premium account. The main feature that will make me change is the possibility to choose a song/artist/album and listen to that, but the way I use these music services is with the radio channel, chossing a few songs/artists and having the service be the DJ... and in that aspect Pandora seem to be doing a much better work than Spotify. Not only by choosing which artists/songs you want in a sation (in Pandora you can enter as many as you can, in Spotify you can only enter one an then start liking/disliking songs) but with some basic features as being able to change the name of a radio station or deleting the ones I don't want to have.

Another point for Pandora is that I can have more than one device being used at the same time... with a family of 5 (wife + 3 kids) it make absolutely no sense for me to pay for 5 subscriptions... and Pandora's fee is half of Spotify.

With only one day experimenting with Spotify, my feeling as of now is that if at least the basic things (delete/rename a radio station) are nor resolved by the end of the month (onw my free 30 days period end), there's no reason for me to get the premium subscription here... this is an issue that has been discussed for a long time (as I see in this and other posts), and if this is not a priority for Spotify, then clearly Spotify is not for me.

I also listen to Pandora - and will check out Pandora Premium - if they are that much more flexible with their radio options - would be kind of cool.

Suggested posts