Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dragging album into folder to create playlist names the playlist by album name, then artist name

Dragging album into folder to create playlist names the playlist by album name, then artist name

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

If I'm viewing an album, and want to save it as a playlist, I know of two quick ways to do so:

1. click the little button with three dots next to the "save" button, and select "add to playlist" (or navigate into a subfolder and do the same)

2. drag the album name itno a playlist folder (often faster)

The #1 option names the playlist "Artist - Album". The #2 option names the playlist "Album - Artist". Please make option #2 act like option #1. Nobody wants to sort by album name first, while looking at a long list of playlists that are albums with different artists. I save albums in this way because there's really no other good way to create genre-based or other user-defined groupings of subfolders to save and organize whole albums in that manner. Browsing for a saved album by artist or album is of course a useable feature, but I usually start by thinking about what genre I'm in the mmod for, and then select a playlist or a whole album that I'd group by that genre. This is one of the things about Spotify that is consistently really frustrating - browsing and sorting (after using iTunes for so many years, which is really good about that).

In a related note, on my Android mobile app, if you try to save an album into a new playlist, it doesn't default to any playlist name, so you have to manually type the artist and album name, which is not always even easy to remember when you're saving something new. It used to default to "artist - album" also. 

1 Reply

Hey @lddk23.

Thanks for raising this with us on the Community.

Good spot! We were able to recreate this on our end too.

For now this seems to be expected behaviour, but you can create an idea about it in the Ideas Exchange here and get others to vote for it. If it garners enough votes, then Spotify might consider implementing the change!

Regarding your second query, if you open up a new thread, we'll be glad to help you out there - just so it's easier for other users to find too in case they need help with the same issue.

Thanks, and hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you 🙂

Suggested posts