Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Failed to Connect to Tumblr

Solved!

Failed to Connect to Tumblr

Hi everyone

Two days ago I've tried to connect my Spotify account to a Tumblr, but everytime I try that, it gives me an error, saying it failed to connect. I thought my password was wrong (since my email was correct) so I've changed it, but still got no luck.

Facebook and Twitter work great, only Tumblr gives me this error. What can I do to solve this?

I've already installed Spotify again and, as I've said, changed passwords, so I don't know what else I could do...

Thank you

.mrcalmeida.
30 Replies

Update: this should all now be fixed. Get sharing!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I'm still having problems. Everything I try won't work. I've tried both on my computer at work with Chrome as my browser, and on my Mac at home, also on Chrome. 

Just wondering where are you trying to connect to tumblr? I thought the only place was directly inside the client.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I had this exact problem as well.  I'd disconnected Tumblr since I changed my URL, but when I tried to reconnect it, it kept failing to connect no matter what I did--I logged out/back in to Spotify, uninstalled/reinstalled the desktop client, even made a new account signing up directly instead of using FB Connect.  I finally figured it out:  I had Tumblr's 2-step verification turned on.  If you do that, Spotify needs not only your Tumblr email/password but another randomly-generated code as well, and since they don't have that code (and there's no way to input it), the client can't connect.  So if you have 2-step verification turned on on Tumblr, try turning it off and seeing if you can connect after that.  I did that and it finally worked.

I didn't have that on, and it's still not letting me log in.

I also have changed my URL, and it's not accepting it.

Marked as solution

Are you entering your actual Tumblr URL/username in the "username" field?  It says "username", I know, but it actually wants the email address you used to sign up for Tumblr (otherwise you'll get an "incorrect username/password" error, as opposed to the "failed to connect" error you get if everything is actually right, but it, well, can't connect).  If you're using your Tumblr email and the correct PW, and you don't have two-step verification turned on and it's still not letting you connect, I've got no other suggestions, sorry 😕

Thank you, MysticalChicken. I've been fighting this for days on end now and finally got connected by using my email. Funny, any registered Spotify workers/assistants and what not all asked "are you sure you're entering your username, not your url or email?"

Kudos to you, man.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

In terms of directly posting to tumblr, I changed the URL slightly and it worked for me (I use the Chrome version):

https://play.spotify.com/user/syscfg/playlist/2AQT2vsqXT5rPTVbXb9HMr

to

https://open.spotify.com/user/syscfg/playlist/2AQT2vsqXT5rPTVbXb9HMr

btw check out that playlist if you're interested and follow!

I kept getting an error everything time I tried to connect Spotify to tumblr.  I fixed it by turning off 2-factor authentication in tumblr, connecting spotify to tumblr, then turned 2F back on.  I'm now able to share from spotify with no problems.

Thanks! I'm very concerned of security, so it's a great relief to learn that I only have to disable 2FA while connecting Spotify with Tumblr, and I can turn it back on afterwards.

Suggested posts