Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Solved!

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Hello everyone,

New to Spotify and just paid for my premium membership. Could someone tell me how I can download music to my PC?

Thanks!

129 Replies

So you are saying I cant take my lists or just music tracks and put them in my phone?

If it aint a download service..then spotify should not use the term download...as they are misleading us all..ie ileagle to forcify information to mislead the public into making a purchase and knowing that the service is not gonna be provided..ie false advertising

And on that note im canceling my purchase

For frick's sake people, don't you bother to read anything before you click on accept, or whatever the button is? I started off with the free version and then when the promotion for the premium version ($0.99 for the first 3 months, then $9.99/month thereafter) was offered I signed on for that. At NO time did I think that I would be downloading songs, free or otherwise. Take the time to read, learn and educate yourselves about what Spotify does and does not offer. If you can't bother to do that before just clicking on things, then you have only yourself to blame. Again, READ, LEARN AND EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE CLICKING YES.

Ok "Magenta Ghost" and the rest of you our there who keep telling me what an idiot I am -

I am happy for you that you can "stream" content onto a device that you can take everywhere with you, if that's what you do.

All I want to do is add missing tracks to my collection and then create compilation CD's (remember them???) to play in my car - I can't take my pc everywhere with me in order to listen to that specific content. So I need to buy and download music to my pc, which I can then burn onto CD.

Over here in the UK,  Spotify Premium was clearly sold as a DOWNLOAD service. I grew up with computers through the eighties and nineties and back then the term DOWNLOAD was always understood to mean that a file could be transferred to your pc, whereupon it would sit in your hard drive for you to do with as you please. I have never in all these years downloaded a file onto my pc which I couldn't then copy onto another device - so clearly the word "download" must now have a different meaning in the 21st century!

So before you lecture me and others about "read, learn and educate" I say again it all comes down to the misuse of the word DOWNLOAD - at no point in the marketing hype did it say that DOWNLOAD meant anything else.

If it works for you that's great, but you can clearly see from the number of other replies to this message that a lot of people feel they have been misled - we can't all be morons - I guess we just grew up in a different era. So no more "holier than thou" lectures please!!

For the record, I don't own a cell phone, tablet, laptop, iPod or any other "current" mobile device. I only have a desktop computer. Correction, I also have a portable CD player that is "new" enough to be compatible with MP3 CDs. I'm sorry that my tone was a rather condescending one, but, I'm tired of hearing about people complaining that they got duped and screwed by Spotify because they thought, incorrectly, that they could pay nothing (in the case of the free version), or very little (for the prem. vers.) to download all the songs that they want. As for what you say about the many others that were wrong as well (YOU called them morons, NOT ME), I counter that with the rest of the Spotify users/subscribers who number in the what, millions? I am just one of those millions who happen to take the time learn about what Spotify offers, rather than just blindly clicking on yes to this, that, and everything in sight. I will repeat again, anyone that takes the time to understand what service is being offered by Spotify, shouldn't have such a hard time with it. You either accept it or not.If you are not clear on what it does or does not do , then ask questions before you subscribe and pay, to see if it is right for you.

As for "downloading" those missing tracks that you want to add and complete your collection - earlier I posted a couple or three ways to record the songs that you are streaming. Go back a few posts and read it. I'm not going to repeat the entire thing in this post. Suffice it to say that if you are listenng (streaming) on a desktop or laptop, then you can very easily record those songs that you are streaming. I have done this myself. You then can do whatever you want with the music, like burn it to CD as you allude to. Make no mistake about it, I buy CDs and will continue to. I simply use streaming, i.e.Spotify, in a similar way as I would use the public library. It gives me more opportunity and time to listen to the music before deciding whether I want to buy the CD or not. So to be perfectly clear, I'm not one of these people that grew up with music being free and dispensable with no value to it. Quite the opposite, in fact. I could go on but this is not the right page for the rest of that discussion.

I'm confused. I joined Spotify to download music to my iPod. How do I do that, and do I have to have a premium membership?

If by download you mean to download in the same way that you would as if you were purchasing an MP3 from a store, or downloading a pdf of an instruction manual, for example, then you can't. Spotify is a streaming service. It you subscribe to the Premium version, then it also allows you to listen offline when you are not connected to the internet.

There is lots of information in the the Help section that explains what devices you can use and the requirements like operating system and version as well as lots of other info about using Spotify. I had a very quick look and copied this from one of those pages: "If you have an iPod Touch with iOS7 or above, you can download the Spotify app from the App Store. You can use all of the latest features Spotify has to offer such as offline syncing and instant streaming. We don't support iPod Mini, Shuffle, Classic, or Nano."

I believe that you can sync as many as 3,333 songs for up to 30 days for offline playback.

Spotify uses the term "download" to refer to what you are doing when you sync those songs to your device for offline playback (when you're not connected to the internet). It is a term that has caused a lot of confusion because many people see the word "download" and expect to be able to do simple downloading of music in the way that they`ve been used to doing for years. That is not how Spotify works and not what they offer. If you feel that this is not what you were expecting and/or what you wanted then you should contact Spotify and ask about getting a refund if possible.

I don't know if anyone with Spotify actually reads any of these Community posts, but if they do, then you - the people at Spotify - really need to come up with a better term than "downloading" because it continues to cause a lot of confusion.

Probably for those who began using a computer, smartphone, tablet or anything else in the full-time 100% available internet era this is not an issue at all. 

But for people like me that began using a computer when an Internet was made with a 56K modem which made a anoying noise when it was connecting, we are aware that download is still as download as it was 20 years ago. If you go ahead and download some content from the Internet (for example a PDF, DOC, mp3) you can check that it generates a file with the respective extension in your computer. This was download 20 years ago, this is download today.

Spotify misleads customers to subscribe with the functionality of downloading, may not be on purpose, but the disclaimer should be different or at least should explain in depth what download is for Spotify (since it means something different than it means download anywhere else on the web).

maybe you could try this tutorial: http://download-music-spotify.blogspot.com/  Is a good alternative for download music from Spotify.

pacojones, I agree with you. Spotify needs to stop calling it or referring to it as downloading and do a better job of making it crystal clear that this is not what they offer. However, at the same time, people need to take responsibility for themselves and to read and learn about what Spotify does/does not offer before signing up and accepting the terms. It's just like anything else - if YOU don't bother to read the terms and all the relevant info then how can you blame it all on the company? As I stated in a earlier post, I took the time to read and learn about what Spotify offered and AT NO TIME did I think that it would allow me to download songs. Yes, the term "download" came up but when you read the info and learn about Spotify, you realize that this is not used in the same way as we've been accustomed to using it. Therefore I would NOT be able to do simple downloading and that is fine with me. Like I said, if you take the time to learn about Spotify then you will understand that even though you might see the term "download" being used in some of the info, it DOES NOT mean the same thing.

I also am from the general era from which you mention (I'm 42) and also have always known the term "download" to be just as you have described it. I grew up without the use of computers until around the later elementary school years - about Grades 5-8 (the mid to later '80s), and then more increasing use after I started high school (Sept 1987). So I know where you're coming from.

Spotify's use of the term is misleading, no doubt about it. But as I said, when you read and learn about what Spotify offers, and the way they use the term, then it becomes clear that you cannot do simple downloading and that is fine with me because I never expected to be able to. Spotify does exactly what I signed up for and expected of it - to be a music streaming service only.

This will probably be my last word on the subject. My opinion is that people need to just simply learn as much as they can about Spotify BEFORE signing up. If you do just that then you will understand, just as I did, what Spotify does and does not offer. If you don't bother to do this, then don't complain about it after. Take responsibility for yourself and your own inaction. Yes, Spotify needs to come up with a better term than "download", but it's not fair to put all the blame on them simply because you (people in general) can't take the time to learn about it beforehand. It's that simple.

U got to sell your soul and then die jk idk

I have a premium membership and am currently using spotify on my laptop. Is there anyway of listening to the music that i have saved in offline mode? I take my laptop out a lot and would like to listen to music.

I thought I can download too. Hm... Well I guess I'll just use Spotify application... A little disappointed

I think spotify should make that point clearer then 😞 i was under the impression you could download onto a device to then burn off......glad i only paid 99p.....

Suggested posts