Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can i delete local files from spotify

Solved!

How can i delete local files from spotify

Hello, i have a question. How can i delete the local files from spotify. i already deactivated all locations on the properties and i changed all folder names. spotify still shows all songs but doesn´t play any of it. but how can i kick them out of my sight? 

And also there are a few songs who play but who doesn´t seem to be local files, because spotify don´t show me a folder where the song is. 

anyone know a solution except deinstall?

45 Replies

for those having issues, try enabling showing hidden files in Finder, worked for me on High Sierra:

https://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/

Can anyone assist for MAC El Capitan Ver. 10.11.6 that when you delete the local-files.bnk or even remove all information from the file and resave it, that that information repopulates upon opening Spotify? I have a library of Live tracks that I would like to not have to rename but they keep playing over the album version in local files.

I couldn't find it either! Here's the key to finding the *right* library folder. I found it by going to "Go" in the finder menu and then holding down option/alt. This allowed me to find the right files and delete all Spotify data on my computer. Have yet to try to reinstall and see if it will work. https://support.spotify.com/us/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/

sorry this may be a dumb question, but what is a 'file browser' and how do i enter things in there? I have a macbook and somehow in my local files on spotify it uploaded all my recordings including voice recordings and i want to get them off spotify. Thank you!

Thank you for the tips for if you cant find the folder.. !

It worked, thanks! 🙂

I tried that and the folder doesn't exist.

Same here!

hmmm how does  one 'navigate to "%appdata.... ? " (Im on a laptop not a phone?)

I deleted the folder but the local files are still there

To Spotify: This shouldn't be so complicated. I would expect unticking the items below "Show songs from" would remove them from Spotify.

For people who could not find the file on Linux, run this at your terminal (press Ctrl+Alt+T to access the terminal):

find . -name "local-files.bnk"

It's not a good idea to trust strangers on the internet to run commands on the terminal. Here's a breakdown:

find = Linux utility to search for files hierarchically.

. = Start at the present directory

-name = Flag that instructs the utility to match by name

"local-files.bnk" = This is the filename to search for.

In my case, this returned a result at:

./.config/spotify/Users/vfb5996u6pn03ecvwbzi96fbw-user/local-files.bnk 

I have delted the file and cleared my trash can yet the local files are still showing up in spotify and its quite irritating because the audio file connected to the song isnt even the song it's just random audio I had saved in my mac.

It still wouldnt let me delete local files ive deleted the localfiles.bnk many times but it keeps popping back up. any1 know why

This solution did not work for me, the local-file.bnk was not in the location stated.  When I finally found it and deleted it and reopened Spotify, the files were still there.  TBC

I followed these steps now I need to undo it all to get my local files back, how can I get them back?

this is the right answer and it took far too long to find it! good work!

I have found the file & delted it but my files are still there. I tried logging off then closing & it still doesn't work. As soon as I open Spotify back up the file comes back too.

Well I guess I spoke too soon. That sucks.

I spent most of my morning fighting this issue and this was the only tactic that worked for me. 😕

This worked for me. Thanks! I had to press [Shift + Command + .] in order to reveal hidden files and see the Library folder within Users, and then I could find the path to the right file.

This worked for me. Thank you so much!

Suggested posts