Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to download my own music on a new computer?

Solved!

How to download my own music on a new computer?

How moving with my private library to another computer?

-trillup-
 -trillup- 
 Roadie

Hi, I need your help,

I have a lot of own music on my computer (mp3 and AAC). Approx. 10% of these songs are not available in Spotify catalogue.

So in the past I created a special playlist "My Music" for these songs to download and hear these songs on my android devices. No ploblem, it works.

Now I have a new Windows Laptop and I thought I could do the same and even download all songs of "My Music" playlist in the Spotify Desktop app as I did with the android app.

It does not work, Download starts, but nothing happens. All songs are grey and not playable, but in the Spotify download folder are are lot of downloads.

Then I connected the USB Stick with the music library backup and tried to download from it. Also no success.

I do not want make the job again and copy my complete music library to the new Laptop (not enought storage) and pick up again each missing song into this "my music" playlist.

Do you have any idea?

I contacted the Spotify support several times but I only get stupic standard replies. They do not understand the problem.

I use:

newest Windows 10 version

Spotify Premium

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TREVA

Unfortunately it's not possible to use Spotify to download your local library to another computer. You can only sync local files with mobile devices.

You will need to collect your local music library from the old machine to a memory stick or external hard drive and copy them to the new computer.

Bu default, Spotify looks at My Music and Downloads. The reason why it didn't grab anything from your USB drive is that it wasn't specified in the Preferences as a location for Local Files.

But even if you did specify the path, I doubt the songs will remain playable after removing the USB drive.

Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @TREVA

Unfortunately it's not possible to use Spotify to download your local library to another computer. You can only sync local files with mobile devices.

You will need to collect your local music library from the old machine to a memory stick or external hard drive and copy them to the new computer.

Bu default, Spotify looks at My Music and Downloads. The reason why it didn't grab anything from your USB drive is that it wasn't specified in the Preferences as a location for Local Files.

But even if you did specify the path, I doubt the songs will remain playable after removing the USB drive.

Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Sebasty,

thank you for your kind help.

Off couse I specified the new library path. Unfortunately it does not work.

At this point I wish Spotify has a solution like Apple Musik or Google Play Music to upload the own library to their server.

So I guess I have to go the hard way and again collect all songs again and copy them to my new computer.

😞

Greetings

Frank

Suggested posts