Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

It's hard to add a song to a playlist

It's hard to add a song to a playlist

Hi guys,

I simply can not add a song to one of my playlists by without a lot of hassle.

I have around 40 playlists, but Right Click / Add To Playlist shows only twelve of them (some of them folders). Also the playlists not listed in the right click menu do not allow drag-and-drop interaction (they show the 'can not add' icon). Everytime I drag the song over the list of my playlists one to three more of them unlock (this is kind of randomized). When I finally got the playlist I want unlocked I have to drag the song three times to the playlist before it is finally added.

What am I doing wrong? This is a pain in the **bleep**!

Windows 10 All Updated / Spotify Latest Version

3 Replies

I don't know for certain, but I suspect the issue has to do with playlists you created yourself, and playlists you are 'following'.

If you are following a playlist that is managed by someone else then I don't think it shows up in the list of playlists you can add to, and you can't drag and drop. However you can change a playlist you have from one you are following to a regular playlist you can just edit as per normal.

And that is I think what is going on. You have created a few playlists yourself and have full controll over them. And then have  bunch more playlists that you followed that are not under your control, however by trying to edit them you are slowly turning them into personal playlists that you control and can edit. But by the sound of it you are doing so in a way not intended and so it's not very efficient or effective.

Looking at my setup, most of my playlists were made by me so it lists all those playlists, but ones that I have 'followed' and got from elsewhere I can't drag and drop to and they don't appear in the drop down list when I r-click on a track and go to add to playlist.

When I go to one of these playlists I can see that it tells me I am 'following' the playlist.

Possibly if I clicked "unfollow" that would give me back control. without all the messing around.
However, I am currently happy following the playlists I am currently following, so I don't really want to test this right now. So I give this to you as a possible solution, with the caveat that I have not tested it. Hope it helps.

Yeah well, I didn't now completely understand your argument to be honest. But should mixing my own and other peoples playlists be an issue? Why aren't all the playlists I can add a song to already in my right click menu? Why do I have to 'unlock' them?

Actually this is an straight on bug in my opinion and I have no idea how to report it properly. But anyway, thanks for the reply!

My apologies. I will try to be clearer.

You have the ability to just create a playlist, you are the author of this playlist and have full control over it. It appears in the r-click menu "add to playlist" and you can drag and drop songs into it.

You can also go and find playlists created and curated by other people/entities that you can either just copy, or you can 'follow'. What is the difference?

Well if you just copy the playlist into your list you get the playlist as it currently is as a static ‘dead’ list. But many playlists are ‘living’ curated and regularly changed/updated and if you follow those playlists you get those updates. But that doesn't work if you also edit the playlist. So followed playlists do not allow you to edit them in the same way, only the original creator can edit them.

However, you can just turn the followed 'live' changeable playlist into a static 'dead' playlist that you control and can edit, [by unfollowing].

This system makes sure that you can't just edit a playlist that you and hundreds/thousands of other people are following that someone else created and is curating. But you can create your own copy of it and then edit that, without disrupting anyone else.

So this is functionality and not a bug.

It could however do with much clearer explanation and UI to make it clear that is what is going on.

Hopefully that makes things clearer, and I apologise again for not being clear enough the first time.

Suggested posts