Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7 sp1

Spotify version

1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7-a

My Question or Issue

>> https://youtu.be/50qYGUbWVTI

Whenever I remove a song from my list it shuffles (instead of just moving the list up). 

Why? Bug or "feature"?

11 Replies

Hey @mullis,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We recommend you log out everywhere and run a clean reinstall on your pc, this involves deleting the cache files of the app and will force a account wide resynchronization of your info. You can have a look at this guide for the relevant  steps.

If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know if only one playlist is affected or all? Does this happen when logged in on another device or in the web player? We'd also appreciate it if you could use the different sorting options to see if you can restore the playlist to the original order.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello - again, 

Still on 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7-a

The problem is back. 

I'm sure I could "solve" it by logging out everywhere again, but it seems kind of silly that I would have to do this over and over. Especially as it's very tedious since I'm running Spotify on a number of units: 

• Sonos Play One: gen II
  • Nest Audio
  • Marantz SR6011
  • Macbook Pro A1398
  • PC
  • Pixel 4a

It seems to only be affecting one playlist that I use for sorting through mine and a friends Discover weekly

: (

Hey @mullis,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Could you send us a video recording of how the app looks like when you play the Discover Weekly playlist? You can also send us a video recording of a playlist in which the songs are not shuffling. We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Sure. However, it pretty much looks the same as the last video. 

Here's a new video from my new Windows 10 system: 

https://youtu.be/dXp6XsXxQgM 

• Version 1.1.52.687.gf5565fe5-a

And here are two lists that aren't bugging: 

https://youtu.be/HRH-aDNPT8M 

Hey @mullis,

Thanks for keeping in touch and sending those videos.

Could you let us know if the same happens on any other device or just on your PC?

Also, could you try creating a new playlist and copying all the content you have in the affected playlist to the new one? Is there any difference?

We'd also like to know if this behavior persists while using a different connection, like a mobile hotspot or another WiFi network.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

"Could you let us know if the same happens on any other device or just on your PC?"

I also tried playing/removing songs on my Macbook Pro A1398 (OsX Big Sur) - works fine. Video here: https://youtu.be/yTjXwnEHibM

"Also, could you try creating a new playlist and copying all the content you have in the affected playlist to the new one?"

I have. The video above is from the new list. 

"Is there any difference?"

There was at first, but after adding new songs from Discover Weekly it's reverted back to being buggy. 

Hey @mullis,

Thanks for the replies.

From the last video you've posted, it seems that the Shuffle button  is switched On. Can you try switching that Off (it should be grayed out when it's Off) and try to manage your playlists again.

Also make sure that no Sorting (Artist/Album/Date Added etc.) is enabled.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Your screenshot/PNG doesn't seem to load.

"it seems that the Shuffle button is switched On. Can you try switching that Off (it should be grayed out when it's Off) and try to manage your playlists again. "

Sorry. I don't follow. How/why would this shuffle my list? It's supposed to affect the play function not the sorting function. Right? 

Like: If Random activated then Play random entry on list. 

Not: If Random activated then shuffle list.

If this was the case, it'd be a pretty big fail for the programmers, would'nt you say? Anyway, I tried it and it doesn't affect the list: So it's not the problem.

"Also make sure that no Sorting (Artist/Album/Date Added etc.) is enabled."

Sure. That makes it work like it should, but the whole point of my list is:

1. Receive new songs from Discover Weekly

2. Sort them all into a list "att rensa upp" (Swedish: "To be sorted")

3. Sort the list by date added  a and then remove those that aren't to my liking

4. Save those that I do like, to another list

5. Contintue until the To be sorted list is empty

Repeat step 1-5 the next week, and next...

I also tried sort by Title, sort by Album , etc and they all work like they should: When song #1 is removed song #2 takes its place and so on. 

So, anyway:

The culprit seems to be sort by date added (latest first).

Hey @mullis,

Thanks for the reply,

If you have the Shuffle button switched On in the Now playing view - this will play your songs at random, regardless of how you sort them, as that's the sole purpose of the shuffle function.

We tried reproducing this on our end, but regardless of how you sort the songs, if you remove one the list does not get shuffled.

So this issue may be coming from your particular account, or the desktop app itself.

You can try the following:

• Log in with a different account to see if it behaves the same way. You can ask a friend/family member for theirs or create a free test account.
  • You can try downloading the app from our website, and check if that makes a difference.

Keep us in the loop.

AlexModerator

"If you have the Shuffle button switched On in the Now playing view - this will play your songs at random, regardless of how you sort them, as that's the sole purpose of the shuffle function."

Hm. Are you gaslighting me? Yes, I know what the shuffle function does.

However you hinted that it might cause the sorting problem (otherwise, why would you tell me to turn shuffle off?). My reaction to this was the thought that would have been poor implementation by the programmers (if the shuffle function did scramble/shuffle the list instead of just randomizing the order in which songs are played). That's all. 

"You can try downloading the app from our website, and check if that makes a difference."

I did just that when installing it on my clean Windows 10 system. I've now had the same problem on two systems/computers: Win 7 and Win 10. 

Anyway... Are you on mac when trying to recreate this? 

I'll try to make a more comprehensive video.

Hi again @mullis

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you confirm if you were able to test this using a different internet connection? 

It would also be helpful if you could log in with a different account to see if the issue persists. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts