Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files are greyed out, ripped CDs not importing correctly

Local Files are greyed out, ripped CDs not importing correctly

On my Windows 10 Home Creators Edition computer with Spotify for Windows 1.0.62.508 installed:

I used the Local Files preferences to import over 215 artists and their albums into Spotify (approximately 2900+ songs) by specifying my top-level “C:\Music” folder as my only local files source.  I deliberately disabled all other Local Files sources (iTunes, Downloads, Windows Media Player, and Music Library) so the only local files source is my C:\Music folder.

The album folders and songs in the C:\Music folder were originally created and accessed via iTunes.  The albums / songs are a combination of dozens of ripped music CDs (as MP3) via iTunes and downloaded/purchased iTunes music (most of them also MP3 files).  They still play fine in iTunes and in Windows Media Player.

While the Local Files import was largely successful, there are a few dozen albums / songs from ripped CDs that did not import properly.  They show up greyed out in the Local Files list.  Sometimes the entire album is greyed out and other times only 1 or 2 songs from the album are greyed out and others are imported properly.  I have attached screenshots to show the problem.

Also interesting is when I click on greyed out songs, some songs will play properly and other songs will fail with a “This song is not available.  If you have the file on your computer you can import it.” message even though clicking the “Open Containing Folder” opens up the correct Windows folder with the MP3 file.

This appears to be a fairly common occurrence, but I didn’t find a solution.  And some of the responses are fairly old and I’m not sure if they still apply to the current version of Spotify.

And before you suggest this, I already re-installed Spotify and re-specified the Local Files folder.  That got me a lot further but still there are dozens of import failures.

I have several questions:

1. How can I successfully import these albums and songs?

2. Supposedly there used to be a way in earlier Spotify versions to simply drag and drop the album folder directly onto the Spotify desktop. I wasn’t able to do that.  I got the international red “no” circle with a line symbol.  Is drag and drop still an option?  If so, how do you do it?

3. Is there a way to delete song entries in the Local Files list? I imported a few I would like to delete.

Thank you,

Sailor Guy

0 Replies

Suggested posts