Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Songs not downloading on PC (Windows)

Solved!

Local Songs not downloading on PC (Windows)

Firstly, no this is not a syncing problem. 
My local songs refuse to download whenever I click the download button. Contacted support and they didn't know what was wrong either. All other songs that are originally on Spotify can be downloaded and it is just the local songs that don't download. The songs were previously downloaded until I added a new song in and tried redownloading everything to resync, but when I tried to do that, all the local songs stopped downloading and I could never get them to download since. Of course since they can't download, it means that they can't be synced either, but I can't listen to them through Spotify while offline even though they are downloaded on my PC.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Nevermind, I fixed it by installing an APK of an older version. Apparently the newest version had some issues or something but I'm not sure.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hi, thanks for asking!

No worries, here are some steps you should try.

First of all make sure to read this FAQ about local songs which will clear some doubts on why not all local songs work. Next if you are up with the FAQ then try turning them off and removing all local songs from the App. Restart the App and then import local files again, check if it is working now.

If it's still not working then try a clean install of the Spotify App, more steps in this guide for you. Keep us posted how it goes.

Throw a like my way or choose this as a solution if I helped!

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

As mentioned, I did contact support so obviously those had already been tried. I am asking for anybody that has experienced the same issue.

Hey @EmilyOoi,

Thanks for the post.

Can you clarify if the local files won't download on your PC or your phone? You don't need to have them downloaded on the PC to play them, as the MP3s are already there.

Keep us posted on this. We'll do our best to figure this one out 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Unable to download only local files on both PC and mobile. But the reason for being unable to download on mobile is because the files won't download on PC in the first place as mentioned before.

Hi there @EmilyOoi,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Another useful step is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Once again, this has already been tried, and I am not going to repeat myself. I have contacted support so all the "book" methods have already been tried. This is to get someone facing a similar issue to answer with the way they fixed it, if you have not experienced this, do not reply.

Hey @EmilyOoi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

By trying different troubleshooting steps we can narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Could you send us a screenshot of how the imported songs appear on your end? This would help us have a better idea of what might be causing this.

In case you get an error message while trying to import local files using the guide posted above, let us know. 

It's important that the songs are in the supported formats and obtained from an official source.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Sorry for the late reply, here's the screenshot of how they look among other songs when trying to download. The downloaded songs are songs found on spotify while the ones that aren't downloaded/can't be downloaded are the local songs.

ss.PNG

Hi @EmilyOoi,

Thank you for this information. 

Could you confirm what's the source of these files? Or where did you download them from? 

Also, we understand you've already reinstalled the app. Could you do it again and make sure to download it directly from the Microsoft Store? 

Let us know how this goes. 

MafeGModerator

Once again, reinstalling already has been tried, please stop asking me to try these "book methods" before I actually get **bleep** off. They are original source files from the creators

Hi again @EmilyOoi,

Thank you for your reply.

We sorry for the confusion. This is expected behavior as it's not possible to download your Local files on your computer. However - you don't need to download them to be sync them to your phone. You can check out this thread. 

We hope this cleared things up.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

It still doesn't download on my phone either way.

Hey @EmilyOoi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You mention that this started happening after you added imported one particular song on the desktop app, correct? Could you remove all playlists with imported files and start the whole process from scratch using the instructions in this guide, however this time don't import the song in question on your PC app. After that are you able to play the local files on the Spotify desktop app again? Once we get this issues sorted out, we'll happily help with synching the imported files to your smartphone as well.

Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator
Marked as solution

Nevermind, I fixed it by installing an APK of an older version. Apparently the newest version had some issues or something but I'm not sure.

Where can you download the old version of an APK?

Pleaseeee help me figure out what you did to fix this issue! Same thing is happening to me. 

Hi there @carlieevans88,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. Let's take a closer look into this together.

To start with, can you let us know what troubleshooting you've done that's been provided so that we don't repeat anything that you've already done.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts