Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Missing icons in Spotify on Windows 10

Missing icons in Spotify on Windows 10

Hi guys,

it seems that all the icons from the GUI have disappeared. Almost looks like the font or something is missing. Anyone experienced the same behaviour recently? The problem persists after reboot/logging out/etc.

Spotify version: 1.0.83.318.g6c07039d

Plan

Premium

Country

Czech republic 

Device

Toshiba laptop

Operating System

Win 10

spotify-bug.PNG
3 Replies

Hey @buchtick

That looks so bizarre, I've seen it on the web player only!

One user found out that there was a line in their hosts file that caused issues. Basically, traffic from specific Spotify address got redirected to void and thus radio, Daily Mix and friend feed didn't work for them. It might be that some traffic responsible for Spotify's icons has been blocked.

Check out this thread for more information. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty,
I checked the hosts file and nothing really suspicious there. Thanks for a try though 🙂

Actually apart from the icons Spotify works flawlessly.

@buchtick

Alright, interesting!

It might be worth reinstalling Spotify in this case. Try this, it's the clean reinstall:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

Also, make sure you have all Windows updates installed, especially those that update drivers and related things!

I've seen similar things happen with the web player, for example in Firefox there is a setting for allowing fonts to be downloaded from servers, and squares happen when it's disabled (source) or when you use a script-blocker, it may disable some scripts and sources including those required for the font.

It's weird to see this happen to the desktop client though...
Just in case, I suggest wiping all the entries off the hosts file to see if something happens. (you can cut-paste the contents to a text file if you don't want to lose anything)

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts