Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection (error code 4) but can still play music

No internet connection (error code 4) but can still play music

Premium plan in US on Dell laptop running Windows 10. Starting a couple days ago, Spotify starts but says offline. I can't load any artist or album pages, but can (for example) go to a recently played artist station and play music even though everything is grayed out. All other internet-based apps/programs work fine. 

Troubleshooting:

-Added firewall path exceptions (worked for a little bit)

-Tried with and without specifying 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS

-Tried all proxy settings (no proxy works best)

-Full uninstall/reinstall 

-Both restarted and shut down device

3 Replies

Hey there @elikirk,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you try the following:

• Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking - if the app works with no issues there, we'd suggest adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.
  • Restart your router

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue but on a Macbook (M1, Big Sur 11.4). Please advise?

Hey @nitefli

Help’s here!

Could you confirm if you've tried any of the steps suggested by @Jeremy? Make sure you give them a try and let us know the outcome. 

It'd also be great if you can send us a short video recording showing the behavior you describe? Just attach the video to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. This way we can take a closer look at the issue. Make sure the recording doesn’t include any sensitive info such as payment or personal data. 

Looking forward to your reply. Enjoy your day! 

Suggested posts