No more local files feature!

Plan

Premium

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I moved to YouTube music but I decided to give Spotify one last go after being a Premium member for years. With this latest version, I'm unable to add local files, After searching the dark web to find some way to contact someone who works at Spotify I was able to find out that this is not a bug and they have removed the ability to add local files as they attempt to make "improvements" to the software!

If you managed to find this post through all the recommended posts from 2016 leave a comment to let Spotify know what a terrible update this is. It's well known that every update is a backward step but the last good feature has finally been axed.

2 Replies

Hey @masterninjafrog,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Spotify is often testing and this means you might see something different on the app, or get different features to try only temporarily. It'd be great for you to check this Spotify Answer for more info about test features.

Regarding this, there's a Community Idea suggesting the option to allow switching between the previous and the current look of your Desktop app. You can take a look at it here if you'd like to know more. Make sure to add your +VOTE as well as subscribe to stay up-to-date with all the related developments.

Hope you'll find this helpful. Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just signed up for spotify today after doing a lot of research to see how the local files system works, only to find that none of it matters because it's been removed from the windows store version. I only switched over from google play because this was a feature.

The kicker is I signed up for spotify duo with my partner, who's installer gave them the original desktop version (I even tried using their installer file, still gave me the store version). So we're on the same subscription with completely different experiences and it's really disappointing. They're having a blast setting up their library and can still add local files, while I can't.

Suggested posts