Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Okay tell me what to do about the slow start up issue

Solved!

Okay tell me what to do about the slow start up issue

I have to delete the cache every month, because the app starts slower and slower every time. Don't tell me to reinstall 😡

(btw I just posted a working solution here and it got deleted in a few minutes, so please tell me another solution.)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm putting this out there, because this issue is still present for more than year and because the Spotify staff are a bunch useless tools. They always tell us to reinstall the app, that works too, but takes a lot of time. This solution is faster

So if the cache gets too big the app can take minutes to start. Here's how to fix it.

Open Run (win+R) type %localappdata% this will open your AppData folder.

Go to Local\Packages\Spotifyxxxxxxxxxx(different name for everyone)

There will be 2 folders in LocalCache\Spotify\ Browser and Data. Delete these, don't start the program yet.

After you deleted them go to LocalState\Spotify there's a prefs file, open it with notepad and add this at the end storage.size=102now start the app.

If you delete the two folders the app will already start fast. Didn't test the storage.size thing yet, but it is supposed to keep your cache under 1 gig, no more slow start ups hopefully.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

I'm putting this out there, because this issue is still present for more than year and because the Spotify staff are a bunch useless tools. They always tell us to reinstall the app, that works too, but takes a lot of time. This solution is faster

So if the cache gets too big the app can take minutes to start. Here's how to fix it.

Open Run (win+R) type %localappdata% this will open your AppData folder.

Go to Local\Packages\Spotifyxxxxxxxxxx(different name for everyone)

There will be 2 folders in LocalCache\Spotify\ Browser and Data. Delete these, don't start the program yet.

After you deleted them go to LocalState\Spotify there's a prefs file, open it with notepad and add this at the end storage.size=102now start the app.

If you delete the two folders the app will already start fast. Didn't test the storage.size thing yet, but it is supposed to keep your cache under 1 gig, no more slow start ups hopefully.

same goes for me... and they told me to reinstall the app... which means that I had to redownload all the playlists I've saved offline... and it still doesn't fix the issue

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts.

Can you let us know which device/devices this occurs on?

We see that you tried with an reinstall of the app. Can you confirm if you performed a reinstall or a clean reinstall since a clean reinstall will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It's been going on for over a year. Tried it on two windows 10 PCs both with HDDs. From my answer you can see that I know how to do that clean reinstall. The solution I posted somewhat remediates the issue, but if I set the cache too low, then it will take too much time to load some pages like Liked songs. But if I set it above 3 gigs it will start slow again in a few days. Maybe it's not an issue with SSDs, but with my setups it takes around 3 minutes to start the app.

Hey there again @goatpimp,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persists?

It can also be good to reset your router.

Also - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I too have this same issue.  On Windows 10 on a generic Dell laptop dedicated to Spotify use, with all current Windows updates installed as well as the automatic update for Spotify current, the app has been taking an inordinate amount of time to load.  It essentially hangs.  The CPU utilization stops along with disk utilization.  On my Mac installation, disabling hardware acceleration as suggested in help cured this issue, but on Windows it does not appear to work.

Is there a work around setting for Windows?  This sluggishness has been going on for quite some time.  It would be helpful if there is a cure.

Many thanks...

Hi @StacyAdams

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

We suggest keeping the app updated to its latest version to ensure optimal performance. It's well worth running a clean reinstall by following these steps and make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store.   

On another note, could you let us know how much storage space does your device have available?

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thank you.  I always keep the app up to date with autoupdate and I query the dropdown menu "about Spotify" and check for updates as well.  I do reload the app cleanly from time to time.  

I have 16gb of RAM and 1TB of storage. My o/s is Mac Catalina and is up to date.  It is a generic install with only o/s apps.  Spotify is the only app running when in use.  I d/l it from your site as it is not in App Store.  Disabling hardware acceleration has a positive impact; however, I just leave it engaged as the improvement is minor.  

I just start the app and walk away until it decides to load.  It would be nice to have it resolved.  It reports there is no internet connection when there is and hangs there for a bit until it decides to recognize the connection then waits a bit longer to become usable.  

Hey @StacyAdams,

Thanks for getting back in touch about this.

If you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Also, would you mind trying with a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference?

Keep us posted!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

this is a new machine, I thought it wouldn't happen on this one. I had to delete the cache(it was 8gb! I never save playlists oflline, how is it so big???) The problem is obviously the braindead cache management in this program

Suggested posts