Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PC - Local Files greyed out and skipped during playback, but still playable manually

PC - Local Files greyed out and skipped during playback, but still playable manually

First, the basics.  Spotify App, Windows 10.

I have a number of mp3s purchased through Amazon that aren't on Spotify, and I keep them on a local NAS.  I've added them to the local file sources, and set them into playlists, and they start off playable. 

However, after a few days on the PC app they'll start turning greyed out, one at a time, over a week, and the playlists will skip them.  BUT, if I double-click any of them they play immediately with no problems.  The same songs in the same playlists still work on my Android devices.  I've tried:

1. Remove the songs from all playlists, move them out of the libraries, then re-add them.  This works for a couple days, then they'll grey out again.
  2. Reinstall the app.  This works for a couple days, then they'll grey out again.
  3. Try the app on a different PC.  Same issues.
  4. Rename the file, then add again from local files.  This works for a couple days, then they'll grey out again.

At all times, these playlists still work just fine on my Android devices, and at all times the songs still Play when requested manually on the PC app.  They just will be automatically skipped during playlist playback.  It seems to me that if the songs are playable, then the app shouldn't skip them during playback?  Perhaps the fact that these are stored on a networked drive is a problem, but this still seems like a bug.

1 Reply

Hey @Tarhish

Help’s here!

If you still experience this after trying all the troubleshooting steps you've listed you might also need to perform a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC. We recommend this step for being more thorough than a simple reinstall in removing corrupted data from previous installations. 

In case you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Suggested posts