Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback issues with Windows 11 via Bluetooth Speaker

Playback issues with Windows 11 via Bluetooth Speaker

Plan

Premium Family - using Desktop App

Country

UK

Device

HP ZBook Create G7 Notebook

Operating System

Windows 11 - Version 21H2 

My Question or Issue

I upgraded to windows 11 last week and since then the playback on Spotify, via bluetooth into a speaker (UE Boom) is juddering - i.e. speeding up for a few seconds then slowing down for a few seconds - on all songs that I've played across Spotify. The speaker is right next to my laptop. 

I have tested playing other songs outside of Spotify using the speaker, they all work fine. I can also play Spotify fine directly out of the laptop speakers, but the issue persists when bluetoothing to my speaker. I have done the following:

-Full uninstall of spotify and reinstalling the desktop app from Spotify website directly, and also using Microsoft store.

-Logging out of Spotify and logging in again

-Running Bluetooth troubleshooting via windows (no problems found)

-Searching for and updating any drivers on laptop (latest drivers already installed)

Its pretty much un-listenable and today I've been playing songs elsewhere just to avoid listening to mess. I've hunted around the web for a while to find a solution but nothing is forthcoming. Any help greatly appreciated.

8 Replies

Hey @maddywhat!

Could you disconnect all other Bluetooth-devices that are connected to your Notebook and see if the same thing happens?
We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Thanks!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Vasil - unfortunately it still happens if I disconnect all other bluetooth devices to my laptop (the only other bluetooth connection is a mouse). It works fine if I play Spotify through my notebook speakers, but of course not the set up I'm after.

Hey there @maddywhat

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you let us know if the same happens using a different device such as a phone with your speaker?

On another note, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your PC and check if the same happens with their account?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni

When using my phone and speaker on my account = no problem.

When a friend logs in to their account on my laptop = no problem.

Before trying this, the issue was persisting on my account on my laptop, but after following the above tests this seems to have fixed the issue on my own account on my laptop (for now?). Posting this to help others who may have the same issue!

Hi Eni

Literally after posting this, unfortunately the issue started again... 

Hi @maddywhat!

Did the issue start occurring again even when your friend is logged in on your laptop? Also, does it still occur when you connect your phone to the speaker?

Something you can try out is changing the streaming quality / disabling the Volume Normalization to see if it would have any effect on this. You can also download a playlist or an album for offline listening, then turn on Offline Mode to check if you'd experience the same behavior.

In case the issue persists, try clearing your preferences by following these steps:

1. Fully close the Spotify app (make sure it's not running in the Task Manager) and go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\.
  2. There you'll find a file called prefs, which holds info about the currently logged in account. Simply delete it.
  3. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  4. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected - you won't lose any of your playlists, Liked Songs, saved albums or podcasts, so no worries there.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Yordan

I just re-tried all the steps in your message - 

-The issue persists with my friend Spotify logged in on my laptop.

-There is no issue with my phone playing via bluetooth to speaker

-I tried adjusting both streaming quality and volume normalization and the problem persists

-I downloaded a playlist and played in offline mode, the problem persists.

-I also wiped the preferences in the order you suggested, unfortunately problem persists.

It's unlisten-able as the song stuttering happens every 10 seconds or so. I've switched from using Spotify right now to a different music player unfortunately. Again, this issue only started once I upgraded to Windows 11, before that I never had an issue.

Hey there @maddywhat

Thanks for your reply,

In this case, we'd recommend clearing up your hosts file. Head here to find out how.

If the issue persists afterwards, we suggest trying with a different network, for example creating a hotspot on your phone and using that to see if that makes the difference.

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts