Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist created from local files saved with Spotify native files [edited]

Solved!

Playlist created from local files saved with Spotify native files [edited]

Hi there, 

On my computer I have a playlist of mp3 files created for a party years ago. I would like to import and search automatically for the titles, and create a playlist containing Spotify files only. 

Is this possible? Does anybody know a workaround? 

I can see this has been requested/described before, but the idea seems to have been 'stalled': 
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac-old/How-to-convert-local-files-in-a-playlist-to-Spotify...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Better-Import-of-Local-Files-to-Integrate-with-Your-Musi...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @oneearleft -

Sorry for the late reply; 

Spotify will automatically recognize your songs from Local Files that matches the one from Spotify; so if you have the song 'Happy' in your library, Spotify will recognize the song and if you add the local song to your playlist, it will show as a Spotify file.

However you can't upload your own songs that are not on Spotify, which is why you can't listen to Local Files on other devices.

Also you can mention other users when you achieve a certain rank in the Community; You can do this by helping others on the Community like posting replies.

If you have any other questions, please reply 🙂

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey, @oneearleft -

Unfortunately, for the time being Spotify does not let you upload your own songs(Local Files) as 'Spotify' files on Spotify. This is why you cannot share them to others or listen them on other devices. 

Check this out: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Can-you-upload-your-own-music/td-p/41511

Thank you 🙂

Thanks @SpotiCheck for replying. I am afraid, that I did not express myself clearly.
This is what I want: 

1. upload file names/playlist to spotify, 

2. spotify finds corresponding native spotify file, and 

3. creates a playlist with corresponding native spotify files. 

One workaround could be playing all files/whole playlist,

let Shazam recognise the music and create an auto playlist. 

So it is about recognising music and autocreation of a playlist, (and 

not uploading/sharing local files). 

Thx

I tried to mention @spoticheck but it doesn't seem to work. How to do this? 

I changed the title to better express my intention. 

Marked as solution

Hey, @oneearleft -

Sorry for the late reply; 

Spotify will automatically recognize your songs from Local Files that matches the one from Spotify; so if you have the song 'Happy' in your library, Spotify will recognize the song and if you add the local song to your playlist, it will show as a Spotify file.

However you can't upload your own songs that are not on Spotify, which is why you can't listen to Local Files on other devices.

Also you can mention other users when you achieve a certain rank in the Community; You can do this by helping others on the Community like posting replies.

If you have any other questions, please reply 🙂

Sorry for replying to an old thread, however, I tried to do the same steps to get my local files to be "converted" into a native Spotify playlist to no avail so far.

Of course, I can add local files to Spotify and create a new playlist myself which files are linked to my local ones, but similar to the OP, I would like Spotify to lookup in their database and mark my local files accordingly if both are identified as equal (or similar).

Based upon this identification, I would create a playlist with Spotify tracks insted of my local ones.

So far I could not find out how to recognize if Spotify has found one or more of my tracks in their database.

Maybe https://www.tunemymusic.com/ can help...

That solved the problem!

I exported the .m3u file from the MusicBee playlist and uploaded to the site, logged with my spotify account and it automatically created my Spotify Playlist.

tks a lot!

Suggested posts