Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Dell Lattitude

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Playing podcast episodes hides the shuffle button, but does not stop the functionality - therefore while listening to 'Great Expectations' I have now several times jumped to completely different parts of the book.

Suggested fix

Either disable shuffle when in podcast mode, or don't hide the button

21 Replies

Hey @willmcenaney,

Thanks for the post!

Can you check if sorting is set to Custom order or Oldest to Newest?

This should play the episodes in order.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey - as mentioned shuffle was the issue.

Order made no difference

Hey @willmcenaney,

Thanks for the reply.

You can't switch on/off shuffle mode when it comes to podcasts. However you should be able to select a playing order, and if the episodes were uploaded correctly, they should play in that order.

Could you send us a link/URI to the podcast in question so we can check if everything works fine on our end.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I switched to an album and turned it off and went back on and hey presto no
more issues.

Must be a bug 🐞

Hey @willmcenaney,

Thanks for the reply and for sharing what seems to fix this issue.

By the sound of it, there might be some issues with your app cache. If the issue appears again if the future, run a clean reinstall like suggested here.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Not sure if it's too late to reply here, but this still seems to be an issue. I experience this bug across multiple installs of Spotify on multiple machines and with all podcasts I listen to.

Hey there @signorbolle,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid any repeating steps.

On another note, we'd like to know if this happens across devices or only on a specific one. 

Lastly, could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of Spotify or the OS of your device?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello - 

I'm having the same issue. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Played an album and turned shuffle off
  2. Went to Podcast and sorted oldest to newest
  3. Played a Podcast episode

When I go to my que, the episodes are shuffled and out of order. I will start on episode 3 and when it ends it will jump to episode 40 then back to episode 20. Can you please help find a solution so that the que is in the same order as the podcast setttings?

Just to chime in, I also am having this problem. It is super annoying.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Would you mind sending us a screen recording where we can see the issue happening? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor or upload it to a different platform and send us the link to it.

On another note, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your devices?

Additionally, we'd like to know if this happens only with a specific podcast of with all of them. If it happens only with a specific one, could you send over the podcast's URI?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This also happens to me and I've just understood what is happening, but cannot find a way to fix it. When I click on an episode of a podcast, Spotify adds to the queue the rest of the episodes in alphabetical order, all the episodes that come after the current one, alphabetically. 

Example: If I select an episode that starts with 'T' in its name, the rest added to the queue are the episodes that starts with 'U', 'V', etc. and they're added alphabetically. 

So.... Not shuffle.

Hey @tgarcia,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

We understand where you're coming from and we appreciate the feedback you're posting as well. However, we need more info as we couldn't replicate it in our end. 

Could you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure it's not private, so anyone can see it). This will help us investigate further.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I am also experiencing this issue, doesn't matter if I am listening on my iPhone or on the desktop version on my computer. 

Instead of adding the podcasts into the order of Oldest to Newest as I have selected, it is creating its own alphabetical order in the queue. I have attached images for reference. 

This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have also included the specs on my version of Spotify on my desktop. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.43.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.44.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.46.53 AM.png

I am having this issue, but the order is basically always backwards.  No matter how I sort the podcast list (Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest), when the episode ends it plays the previous episode.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

I am having that now. Is like they changed it but did not fix it...

@nx4life wrote:

I am having this issue, but the order is basically always backwards.  No matter how I sort the podcast list (Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest), when the episode ends it plays the previous episode.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

@OscarDC wrote:

Hey @tgarcia,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

We understand where you're coming from and we appreciate the feedback you're posting as well. However, we need more info as we couldn't replicate it in our end. 

Could you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure it's not private, so anyone can see it). This will help us investigate further.

We'll be on the lookout.

Are the prints that hillary_macd posted enough, or do I still need to go through the hassle of recording a video?

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here.

@tgarcia and @hillary_macd It sounds like you might be experiencing this issue. You can follow the steps under the Status Update and share your info in that thread in order to avoid confusion.

@nx4life It seems like you're experiencing a different type of issue. We'd recommend that you create a new thread in the Help Board. You can also include the troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far. We'll look into this further.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

the issue that was told to "start a new thread" as a solution has been started because this is mind blowing infuriating. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Auto-Queues-All-Older-Previous-Played-Episodes/m-p/5368...

A video was included of this occurring and every troubleshooting step was taken. 

up until a few weeks ago i think i used to be able to listen to podcasts on my PC in Chronological order, oldest to newest, stop and resume. but now the podcasts always ALWAYS play in reverse order regardless of the sorting function, it always plays newest to oldest

Suggested posts