Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Really unusual issue with Spotify not playing any music.

Really unusual issue with Spotify not playing any music.

Plan

Premium

Country

The U.S.A.

Device

PC

Operating System

Win 10

My Question or Issue

I have been having issues with Spotify for the past month however it seemingly has gotten worse recently. Initially, when I put playlists on shuffle, there was about a 50 percent chance the song would immediately pause in the first seconds of the song with the error "Spotify can't play this right now" and I would fix it by skipping to the next song then skipping back.

However today some songs would not play at all even with my usual fix with the error "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." At the recommendation of someone else, I cleared the local cache and changed headphone sound quality to 176400 Hz but this seems to have worsened it. Now spotify won't play any songs, when I click a song, it quickly skips through each song in the list. It will maybe skip through 40 songs in 30 seconds without playing anything.

2 Replies

Hey @Pacman4397 

The main reason this sort of issue happens is when your audio device is not set as Default. Check out this HowToGeek article on how to find per-app audio preferences and modify them.

Another thing I need to point out is that Spotify will very likely do that when you change anything, such as sample rate while Spotify is open.
Restart Spotify after you modify audio settings. 🙂

I also recommend making sure that your audio device's sample rate matches one of Windows. To reach this setting, do that:
1. right-click on speaker icon, select Playback Devices
2. select your audio device, click Properties.
3. Click on Advanced tab.
4. you'll be presented something like the following. Select the sample rate and bit depth matching those of your headphones.

image.png

It might also help and if nothing else, just avoid resampling. 🙂

Let me know how it goes for you!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there, the solutions did not work.

Suggested posts