Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Steps:
1. Single click a song somewhere in the middle of a playlist to select it.
2. Hold shift+click to click another song near the selected song (Can be above or below, doesn't matter)
Expected behaviour:
* The range between the two clicked songs (inclusive) is selected.
Actual behaviour:
* The last song clicked is selected, as is every other song before it in the playlist.
OR
* The first song clicked is selected, as is every other song before it in the playlist
OR
* The expected behaviour.

It is a bit of a lottery. When I want to select a range of songs, which I do - often - I have to keep repeating it until it does the right thing.

6 Replies

Hi @OpusMagnum,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

We've tested this from our side and weren't able to replicate the issue. When we did it, the expected behavior occurred. 

Whenever there are issues with the app, it's a good idea to run a clean reinstall with these steps, as this one is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If the issue persists, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did a clean reinstall on the 16th and the problem went away.
(I'm sorry for not getting back sooner - It was late at the time and I meant to say the next day)

The problem has now returned 11 days later

Hi @OpusMagnum,

Thank you for keeping in touch!

Could you confirm if the issue persists with another account? In my previous post you can find the link to create a new one for testing purposes. 

If the same happens, could you share with us a video showing how the issue happens? This way we can take a better look at it.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi MafeG, thanks for getting back to me.

I haven't been able to reproduce the real problem with another account.
Buy it does not happen every time. It's odd.
I have not been able to catch it in action either, as I would have to record video all the time I use Spotify (and I'm usually working then!), but I did manage to capture a video of an issue which shows what the problem looks like, and may be related. This related video *is* reproducible on other accounts and on other peoples Spotify on other machines. Fixing it could even fix my problem!

As I said, the problem in the video is probably less of an issue (though still a minor bug in selecting, and it happens every time without fail) as it is a user doing something not very common (although it should be the user case of "user selects 5 songs but meant to select 4", tries again and it goes wrong)

It involves these steps:
1.  select a range of songs step 1: Click a song.
2.  select a range of songs step 2: hold shift and click another song. 

3.  select a range of songs step 3: a range is now selected. Let go of shift. No mouse buttons down etc - neutral state.
4. new range of songs step 1: Click one of the songs that is in the existing selection - the selection goes away
5. new range of songs step 2: Shift click some other song
Expect: New selection of songs based on (4) and (5)
Actual: New selection of songs starting at song clicked at (5) and going to start of playlist.

This happens whether selecting up or down.
The real problem for me is that sometimes the bad thing happens when I have just entered a playlist (and not done the extra step at the start here!).
As it is random, it means I can have selected a lot of songs in a playlist without realising it (e.g. if my chosen range covered everything on screen) and then accidentally remove lots of songs or copy lots of songs.

Hey @OpusMagnum,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and sending the video!

We've tested this from our end with the steps you sent and we were able to replicate the issue. In order to report this to the right teams, let us know the exact Spotify version currently running on your PC.

It would also be very helpful if you could check if the issue occurs on a different computer using your account.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Novy,

Thank you for letting me know about the reproduction  on your end.

My version info:

Spotify for Windows
1.1.77.643.g3c4c6fc6

I'll afraid be out of the house for a week - I'll try to borrow another computer to try when I get back.

Suggested posts