Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

arrow keys don't work anymore and it's been happening since a week ago

arrow keys don't work anymore and it's been happening since a week ago

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I don't have a clue what to do anymore, it's so annoying, having to use the scroller. Spotify has had many problems with this exact thing, and I tried submitting a post, but something unfortunately went wrong.

It's been happening since before this week, on that very day, my brother said he had no issues with it, and he was able to use his mouse. I don't really use my mouse, except when I'm gaming, which I'm not allowed to do now. No one else seems to have posted about this recently, even though there are still lots of questions posted on this website.

Seriously, does anyone know how to fix it? I genuinely can't possibly deal with this any longer.

Plan

Free

Country

Ireland

Device

Lenovo

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hi everybody,

Thank you for your reports and helping us gather more info.

We've merged all threads regarding this issue into one, so it's easier to keep track 🙂

We've been able to reproduce this issue on our end and have passed on the info you've provided on to the right teams at Spotify, who are looking into the matter.

We'll let you know here, as soon as we have news on any development.

Take care!

28 Replies

Keyboard navigation is refusing to work in the app and web player. It is doing my nut in having to use the scrollbar to go through artist pages and large playlists. This isn't a problem with my touchpad as it works fine on other websites

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

HP

Operating System

Windows 10

I also have this issue.
Within the last few weeks the keyboard navigation in the artist pane stopped working.
This is primarily how I navigate the artists list (Home, End, Up, Down, Pg Up, Pg Dn)
It would be super nice to have the old ergonomics back, for us with mouse impairing issues.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try logging out, restarting your devices, and logging back in? If that doesn't make any difference, we recommend running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. We also suggest downloading the app again from the Microsoft Store.

If the issue persists, can you confirm if this happens in every section of the app? We'd also like to know if this is happening with specific keys or if none of them work.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Yes I've reinstalled per instructions, and also tried it on multiple machines.
It appears keyboard scrolling does not work in any scrolling pane or whatever they're called.
Clicking into it first makes no difference.
I (used to) frequently use Home, End, PgUp, PgDn, Up/Down arrows.

Thanks for the help.

Hi there @ek78132,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We also suggest that you head over to your keyboard control panel on your computer to make sure that everything works properly as it should.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

umm does that spotify picture that shows up with people's posts mean that they're using premium, and if that's true, people always would be giving way more atttention to people with premium, and it's really unfair. I know that logo gets your attention, but if it's true, then this community is acting pretty toxic and I'm already sick of it.

Hey @bluesunnyfox,

Thanks for the post.

We'll do our best to help out. Can you let us know if your arrow keys don't work only in a specific playlist or as a whole.

It would be helpful if you let us know the exact version of your Spotify client.

Regarding your question about the icon - usually moderators and Community Rockstars have a Spotify Icon next to their post. Any user is free to submit info about their subscription status with their post. We don't prioritize premium users 🙂

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Spotify for Windows
1.1.**bleep**.612.gb7409abc

Still broken.

Hi @ek78132,

Thank you for your reply. 

Could you reinstall the app one more time? But this time, make sure to download it from the Microsoft Store.

If it still doesn't work, please try opening the app in compatibility mode? Follow these steps: 

1. Right-click on your Spotify shortcut.

2. Select Properties.

3. In the properties window, open the Compatibility tab.

4. Click on Change settings for all users button on the bottom.

5. Under Compatibility mode, check Run this program in compatibility mode.

6. Select Windows 7.

7. Under Settings, check the Run this program as an administrator box.

8. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.

9. Open the app and test it again.

Let us know how it goes!

MafeGModerator

Hello, thanks for your help.

I'm still experiencing the same problem. Have tried the solutions above (clean reinstall, changing compatibility mode settings) and nothing works. Please advise

Hi there @rizingdamp

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your PC has any pending updates?

Additionally, could you try if the same happens on a different PC?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello,  I've just updated but scrolling still doesn't work. It *does*, however,  work on a different PC

Hi @rizingdamp,

Thank you for your reply.!

This helps us see that the issue may be isolated to your computer, it could be related to its settings so there are other things we can try here. 

Please go to the app settings and toggle on/off the Hardware Acceleration setting. Does it make a difference? 

If the issue persists, try the following:

1. Press Windows key + R and type "msconfig" in the box that opens and click ok.

2. Go to "Services" tab.

3. Look for "Windows Media Player Network".

4. Uncheck this service and test the app again. 

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Hi MafeG 

thanks for the help! Tried both and neither work unfortunately

I reinstalled, then went to the Settings page and clicked on "show desktop overlay when using media keys." Navigation works again.

However, I would recommend toggling the desktop overlay button prior to attempting a reinstall - the reinstall may not have been needed.

Minutes later, keys stopped working again when I went out of a playlist to the Home screen. I toggled the desktop overlay setting back to off. Keys started working again, and when I went back to Home, THEY STOPPED WORKING AGAIN.

The problem is related to this setting or something about how visual ads are loading now.

Hey @grr4,

Thanks for the post and the description you've provided.

It would be great if you can do a screen recording of this, as it will help us investigate further.

You can add the recording as an attachment or as a link to an external video sharing platform.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Anyone got any further suggestions for this? I've tried everything in this thread and nothing works. 

Hey @rizingdamp,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you please send us a video recording of what you're seeing? We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts