Premium

Country

Norway

Device

PC

Operating System

Win11

My Question or Issue

When selecting multiple songs in a list (playlist, album, popular song list on artist page, probably others), using a mouse and the shift key, some state seems to be discarded, and the wrong songs are selected.

How to Reproduce

1) Open a list (I chose the album Obey the Queen, by SCARLET, since I have it open).

Picture 

2) Click on a song other than the first (I chose Beauty & Beast). As expected, this and only this song is selected.

Picture 

3) Holding down the shift key, click on a different song (Zodiac). Multiple songs are now selected.

Picture 

4) Release this shift key, then click on the song you last clicked on (Zodiac). That song appears to still be selected, though it's highlighted differently from before.

Picture 

5) Holding shift again, click a different song in the list (Krokodil).

6) Notice that instead of selecting the songs between the song clicked in step #4 and in step #5, songs are selected from the beginning of the list.

Picture 

Expected Behavior

When shift-clicking a song, the songs between (and including) the previously selected song and the one clicked, should be selected. No other songs should be selected.

1 Reply

Hey @Biotronic

Thanks for reporting this issue!

It appears that this is behaving correctly, apart from a visual glitch.

In step #4, the song you click on is highlighted, but it is the same color as when you're just hovering over other music.

(Example - my mouse is hovering over Closing Time)

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1678111302750.png

It appears that clicking on any song (not just the last one selected before) is meant to unselect all songs. An example of this is when you highlight text in Chrome. Once some text is highlighted, if you click anywhere (even on some text that is currently highlighted), all of the text is no longer highlighted.

At this time, I do not know what the intended behavior should be. I am unsure if clicking on another song should unselect all songs (like Chrome) or select the item you clicked (like File Explorer). I'll see if I can find anything.

P.S. You can attach images to any Spotify Community post by pasting them in from your clipboard.

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

Suggested posts