Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song wrongly marked as local file so I can't play or add the online version to a playlist

Song wrongly marked as local file so I can't play or add the online version to a playlist

So when I first installed Spotify I thought it would be helpful to add my own collection of music to it as well, thinking to get the best of both worlds.

Soon I found out that when I have a local file on my computer, that song will play from there, but it won't play when I'm not connected to the hard drive the file is on. Like when I'm out, using my phone or car etc etc. I don't want to download those songs to all the devices I use spotify on because that sort of defeats the purpose of having a central source for music.

So I deleted the local_*.bnk file and surely, the local files are no longer visible in the GUI.
However, I still can't play the online song, not on any device.
I can't even add it to a playlist. It's greyed out and has this little info circle near the date saying "local file".

I even deleted the actual local file (along with all the other space consuming local files as I have spotify to listen to Anything Anywhere).
But nothing I do makes these songs "not local file".

It doesn't matter what device I use (webbased, pc client, android, etc etc).
I've also completely uninstalled spotify, made sure nothing remained in %appdata% local and roaming, rebooted and reinstalled it.

Spotify thinks I still have these songs as local files, even though I don't.
How can I make Spotify believe I really DO want to have this song available from the online side and actually want to be able to add it to playlists and play the songs?

0 Replies

Suggested posts