Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs load slow and stop / start

Songs load slow and stop / start

Problem

I am a premium user and it seems that spotify is doing two things right now.

Songs are loading slow periodically.

Songs will stop playing then start back up.

Steps taken to resolve issue

Both are behaviors of the song 'loading' or 'buffering'

In most cases this is explained by a slow internet connection on the user's end. However, this is not the case as I have 20mb down/ 2mb up as my internet plan. I have tested my internet connection and I am getting a fair 17mb down / 2mb up as a real time speed.

I have also compared my connection to other things such as ventrilo and online based video games and I keep a steady ping of 19 - 90 ms.

I have tried putting high quality playback on and off and tried toggling various other options within spotify to solve this issue.

I have also tried uninstalling / deleting and reinstalling spotify to no success.

Question

Is there a solution to this problem?

System Specs

Processor: i7 2600k

Memory: 16gb corsair vengeance ram 1.5v 1600mhz

Storage Drive: Sandisk sata 3 SSD 480gb

Storage Drive: Sandisk sata 3 SSD 120gb

Graphics Processor: NVidia GeForce 580 GTX

Mother Board: MSI p67a-gd55

Sound Card: Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus

Operating System: Windows 7

ISP: Time Warner Cable 20mb down / 2mb up

14 Replies

hi, how are you connected to the internet wi-fi or cable, if wi-fi then perhaps not enough bandwidth try cable or buy a better dongle somthing thats dual band, if you are cable then i have no suggestions sorry.

Is this still happening after the latest update from a couple of days ago? What version is your Spotify client?

Community Ergo Sum

I am having the same problem with slow loading of pages within spotify and constant stopping while the song loads. I am connected over wi-fi but I am able to stream 1080p videos on youtube with no buffering issues while spottify continues to be sluggish.

I'd also like to add that I am having similar problems with the Android App. Also constant buffering issues on a different computer with a different account.

I'm also having this problem. Running Windows 8 Pro and there are no problems with my internet except with Spotify. I'm paying for premium service but everytime I play a song it takes 20 - 30 seconds for it to start and it stutters and buffers thoughout the song. This is really frustrating and not worth the money.

@bnodzak wrote:

I'm also having this problem. Running Windows 8 Pro and there are no problems with my internet except with Spotify. I'm paying for premium service but everytime I play a song it takes 20 - 30 seconds for it to start and it stutters and buffers thoughout the song. This is really frustrating and not worth the money.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Spotify is not currently supported on Windows 8. 

There are several annoying bugs and issues for users who are currently using it. I would suggest you have a read at this topic and also this one.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I just installed a few windows updates, didn't see anything that might have affected Spotify but it is suddenly and miraculously working! There is still a few second gap between when I pick a song and when it starts playing but it is definately not as long as before and there are no more pauses in the middle of songs....for now.... I'll post again if the problem comes up.

Oh and thanks for the welcome 🙂

I am having the same problem and am getting extremely sick of it if it is not fixed in a few days im cancelling my subscription and moving to pandor@

Hey, good thread PresumedSum; nice and clear.

What's less good is that I'm having the same problems. The slow loading time being the most annoying, especially when going through loads of songs deciding whether you like it or not after listening 10 seconds (or am I the only one doing that?). I have been a premium user for more than 2 years now, but this problem has had me switching back to the 'good old youtube'  for more than a couple times now and lead me this far.

Same as the TS I have tried streaming in high- and low quality, reinstalling Spotify, switching PC's and going from cable to Wi-fi. And back. No luck. Sometimes I go days without issues. Others; Spotify becomes pretty much useless. The problem seems to occur more often when I start/buffer lots of songs quickly after each other. But I'm behind a 120mb/s down and 10mb/s up connection, so can't see a problem there. Since I'm not the only one with problems I have to presume the problem(s) aren't on my end.

I hope someone from the Spotify crew will pick this up soon.

System Specs (if it helps anyone figuring out where the problem resides)

Processor: AMD Vishera FX-8350 8-core

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance ram 1866mhz CL9

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @7200rpm

Graphics:  NVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti x2

Mother Board: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio + Harman/Kardon speakers

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Internet Service Provider: Ziggo 120mb/s down & 10mb/s up (connected via cable)

I have the exact same problem. Very slow searches, starting new songs, and skipping to another song. It seems this happened when I upgraded my account from Unlimited to Premium. Never had these kind of trouble with Unlimited and it starting to get very annoying.

I also see this issue with spotify premium and I have 250mbps synchronous wired internet (I get about 26,000kb/sec downloads from other sites so I am 100% sure it's not my connection speed). I think the issue is simply that Spotify's servers are not fast enough with  their ever increasing traffic  volume. As more people join I am sure they will invest in faster datacenters.

@mms16 wrote:

I also see this issue with spotify premium and I have 250mbps synchronous wired internet (I get about 26,000kb/sec downloads from other sites so I am 100% sure it's not my connection speed). I think the issue is simply that Spotify's servers are not fast enough with  their ever increasing traffic  volume. As more people join I am sure they will invest in faster datacenters.

Spotify on the desktop version uses p2p technology to share tracks, so in theory the more people who use the service the faster it becomes. It is possible your connection has issues with p2p connections either due to a firewall or your ISP?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

paying every month 10 Euros for such a desinterested service is a joke!

I fix the problem, for me was remote helper the guilty !

its 2017 and there is no response on this. Shame. I am getting to the point of looking somewhere else for streaming music. 

Suggested posts