Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spoitfy wont lanuch due to missing dsound.dll

Spoitfy wont lanuch due to missing dsound.dll

I had problems with my dsound.dll for some reason. every time I started Spotify (and any other program that used dsound.dll) it would come up with an error message saying that "dsound.dll is not designed to run on windows or contains an error" etc., despite this it had no effect on Spotify but did on other programs. To fix this issue I downloaded a dsound.dll file and replaced my old ones which worked as my other programs are now fine however Spotify won't launch and give me an error message saying "dsound.dll cannot be found, please reinstall this application". I cannot uninstall Spotify as when I try it gives the same error message and when I manually delete the Spotify files and try to reinstall Spotify it fails and the same error message comes up. please help, thanks.

3 Replies

Hey, @Jawa96 -

I strongly suggest not downloading .DLL files from 3rd party websites; they are often malfuctional, corrupted or could be a malware. Instead you can manually register Dsound.dll using Microsoft Register Server- safe and sound.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Type "cmd" and the "Command Prompt" will appear in the list.
  3. Right-click on it, and choose 'Run as Administrator." Click 'Yes.'
  4. When the Command Prompt appears, type the following command: regsvr32 /u dsound.dll.
  5. Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
  6. Type the following command: regsvr32 /i dsound.dll.
  7. Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
  8. Close the command prompt window, and restart the program associated with dsound.dll error.

Please tell me if it works 🙂

Desk-api.png

thanks for the reply, however unfortunately nothing has changed. I also un-registered and re-registered the dsound.dll in the sysWOW64 folder but i'm still getting the same problem

Hey, @Jawa96 -

Sorry for the late reply; You should first remove the Dsound.dll file downloaded from other websites wherever you put it, and again try the steps above. 

After that, try restarting your PC and run Spotify again- If it still does not work, please reinstall Spotify again through here.

Thank you 🙂

Suggested posts