NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop App and Web player don't work

Spotify Desktop App and Web player don't work

Device

(Desktop PC)

Operating System

(Windows 10 Pro)

My Question or Issue

Hey, my problem with Spotify is that the desktop app and the webplayer don't work. The desktop app start very slowly and after time spotify is started but don't play the songs. The same problem is with the webplayer. Everything works  but if I want to start a Songs, it doesn't start. I try it with Chrome, Firefox und Edge and it's the same.

thx for help

17 Replies

Hey there @nielogi,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, are you seeing any error when you try to play a song or is the app/web player simply not doing anything? Have you noticed the same thing happening on a mobile device, for example?

Would you mind asking a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using the affected device to see if they can replicate this behavior? 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey @Novy, there is no error code. It simply do nothing when i want to start a song and with an other Account its the same. Spotify works fine with my phone, alexa etc

Hey there @nielogi

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens while using a different network? You can create a hotspot on your phone and using that. 

On another note, we suggest checking your firewall and making sure Spotify is set as an exception.

If those don't do the trick, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

The Webplayer works again with another Network. But the Desktop app need a long time to start and dont work with a different network. I deactivated the firewall but nothing happens. Maybe is the problem with the desktop app a software problem.

Updated: After I try it with the hotspot, the webplayer works again with the main network 

Hi there @nielogi,

Thanks for the reply. Is it correct that the same issue happens with a different account on the same app as well? If so, please try the following:

• A full clean reinstall
  • Installing both the app version from the site and from the Microsoft Store
  • If you have a VPN, disable it.
  • Try starting the app in safe mode

Let us know how it goes. 

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

No one of this worked. I try it multiple times with a clean install and with the safe mode it's the same problem

Hey @nielogi,

Sorry to see the issue persists. Let's try clearing the hosts file to see if that would make a difference:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    1. You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
    1. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Hope this helps! Keep us posted 🙂

VasilModerator

Unfortunately no. Nothing there 😞

So, I had try that with the hotspot again, cause the webplayer wont again and now the the desktop app works again. But if I switch the netwerk again, it dont work

Hey @nielogi

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, is this happening over a private or a public network?

On another note, we suggest that you check if the OS of your PC has any pending updates. 

Lastly, sending us a short screen recording of what you're seeing on your end would come in handy. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This happening over a private network. I have the newest Update. With my Hotspot it works fine, but if i switch to my private network, it doesn't work. 

Now I try to connect my pc with Wifi to my network and the desktop app works, but the webplayer doesn't work. (I deactivated in the Network Adaption the Ethernet)

Hey @nielogi,

Thanks for the update!

If re-enabling the Ethernet adapter and using a Lan internet connection causes the issue to re-appear, we can do some more troubleshooting here:

1. Re-enable the adapter
  2. Reset the network cache (flush the DNS data):
    1. Right-click the Windows Start button.
    2. Start Command Prompt (as Admin).
    3. When asked whether to allow Command Prompt to make changes to your computer, select Yes.
    4. Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.
    5. Restart the computer and see if there's a difference in how both the desktop app and the Web Player work.

On desktop, you can also disable the app's Proxy settings to see if that would make a difference.
You can find them under Settings > Proxy Settings > Proxy type > No Proxy.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted 🙂

VasilModerator

I already try this multiple time with no success 😞 I tried it with my old pc and there is exactly the same problem. Maybe is there something with the router or the network that block the connection for the first time and if I deactivate the Ethernet, the PC connect it with wifi, and it becomes a new priority. But I find nothing wrong with the settings or something suspicious 

Hi there @nielogi,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for trying out our recommendations.

To get this right, you can replicate this behavior on two computers and with one internet connection, correct? If you connect your old PC to a mobile hotspot, does Spotify work? 

On another note, was Spotify working before? Did you notice if this started happening after an update or recent change you made?

Lastly, restart your router. This is a very simple step, but it's worth trying if you haven't done it yet. 

Keep us posted!

Susan_GPModerator

I had before on my pc windows 11pro and I reinstall windows 10 because I had many problems with windows 11. Windows 11 works at the beginning and I had a pause from the PC. Than it dont work. And now the problem is still there. After restart the router the problem is still there. And the problem with the other pc works with the same solution but with a redstart, the problem starts

Hi @nielogi.

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share what you've tried and follow our recommendations. In this case, we'd recommend using Windows in the meantime as it seems to be more stable.

We'll make sure to pass this info on to the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience, but we can't confirm when or if this will be fixed. That being said, we also recommend keeping the app and the device's OS up to date so you don't miss out on any possible fixes or improvements. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator

Suggested posts