Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Doesn't Respond to Cortana's Requests

Solved!

Spotify Doesn't Respond to Cortana's Requests

Plan

Premium

Device

Desktop - Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Cortana can't play anything on Spotify:

Cornata successfully opens up Spotify, but doesn't do anything,

it just opens up Spotify as if i were to open it; doesn't direct me to the song i requested or even simple command such as resume playing.

After any requested command Cortana successfully identifies any song or any request but just doesn't do anything.

What i've done to try to fix this:

• I've tried to reinstall and relink Spotify to Cortana.

• I've tried to play a song manually (resume) to see if it'd change a song: Cortana successfully identifies the song and states it will begin playing the requested song but ends up pausing the current playing song.

• A simple reboot to System.

Im posting this here because i think Cortana seems to operate normally by it's end; seems to me that Spotify won't respond to Cortana's requests.

I would appreciate any help to solve this issue.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was having this same issue and language wasn't an issue (I'm in the US and language was already set to US English).

Here's what I did to solve the issue.

1. Unlink Cortana (in her settings)
2. Revoke Cortana app access (via accounts.spotify.com), and while you're logged on...

3. Set up an App Password especially if you're using facebook to log in (this may not be neccessary, but I did so just to circumvent all potnetial issues).

4. Uninstall Spotify
5. Install Spotify from the Windows Store (I believe the actual cause of the issue is that those of us with the problem probably installed from the Spotify Installer download, rather than the Windows Store).

6. Launch and log in to the Spotify app with the app password you created in step three.
7. Link Cortana using the app password you created in step three.

8. Restart your computer (my Cortana didn't think Spotify was installed until I did so).
9. Enjoy hands-free music browsing!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I had the same issue. You need to set the Cortana language to English US... Its not working with English UK

It worked for me...

Marked as solution

I was having this same issue and language wasn't an issue (I'm in the US and language was already set to US English).

Here's what I did to solve the issue.

1. Unlink Cortana (in her settings)
2. Revoke Cortana app access (via accounts.spotify.com), and while you're logged on...

3. Set up an App Password especially if you're using facebook to log in (this may not be neccessary, but I did so just to circumvent all potnetial issues).

4. Uninstall Spotify
5. Install Spotify from the Windows Store (I believe the actual cause of the issue is that those of us with the problem probably installed from the Spotify Installer download, rather than the Windows Store).

6. Launch and log in to the Spotify app with the app password you created in step three.
7. Link Cortana using the app password you created in step three.

8. Restart your computer (my Cortana didn't think Spotify was installed until I did so).
9. Enjoy hands-free music browsing!

Great, this has solved my problem!

no restart needed and changing passwords on my end.

You've helped alot, Thanks a bunch!

Suggested posts