Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium can not see Chromecast Audio unit (Win 10)

Solved!

Spotify Premium can not see Chromecast Audio unit (Win 10)

I have just got the 30-days free Spotify Premium. I restarted Spotify, its now "premium"

I can use me Chromecast Audio via Google Chrome whit no problem, but in Spotify the "device-symbole" in lower right corner is not activated, its dark.

If I open spotify on my Android 6.0 phone, and shift "spotify-music-unit" from laptop to phone, then, some how, I now can see my Chromecast Audio unit activated on Spotify-laptop! Do I relly need to activate spotify on my phone every time I like to cast music from laptop to Chromcast?

(I have the latest firmw. on my chromcast, that I just got from store)

spotify error.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Chromecast discovery and authentication is unfortunately not supported from Desktop at this time. Cast devices will appear in the Desktop device menu once you have started playback on them from a mobile device – even if you're not on the same WiFi. After you've stopped playing, they will disappear after a short while.

/Björn

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

To expand on what I wrote: unfortunately the only Cast SDKs Google supplies are for iOS, Android and Chrome. The Spotify desktop app obviously isn't Chrome – as it happens, it actually uses Chrome Embedded Framework, but the Cast SDK requires the full Chrome browser – so there is no Google-supported solution right now.

/Björn

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I think it's either Chromecast or the device, or maybe even the internet connection. I have similar issues with Spotify, but I've also had issues with my network not showing up when I'm in Netflix and Hulu, too.  Just a guess at this point. I usually log out and then log back in and it'll show up eventually.

"I think it's either Chromecast or the device, or maybe even the internet connection."

Chromecast and the device is the samt thing, "Chromecast Audio"

Cromcast device works perfect in my home whit all my media-hardware/software like phone and laptop, but not when using software Spotify. So there is no problem whit my internet/wifi or chromecast.

Spotify can not identify my Chromecast on its own, its needs a "wake up call" from my phones Spotify first. That is fore sure a spotify-related problem. Maybe Spotify deos not work correctly on Win 10?

Marked as solution

Chromecast discovery and authentication is unfortunately not supported from Desktop at this time. Cast devices will appear in the Desktop device menu once you have started playback on them from a mobile device – even if you're not on the same WiFi. After you've stopped playing, they will disappear after a short while.

/Björn

Such a basic feature. Please implement it already.

Marked as solution

To expand on what I wrote: unfortunately the only Cast SDKs Google supplies are for iOS, Android and Chrome. The Spotify desktop app obviously isn't Chrome – as it happens, it actually uses Chrome Embedded Framework, but the Cast SDK requires the full Chrome browser – so there is no Google-supported solution right now.

/Björn

Thank you very much for the clarification!

I can't claim to understand this ! 

I should surely be able to cast from a super-popular app to a super-popular device like  chromecast audio - come on, this is supposed to be the 20th century or something, isn't it?

It's Google at fault, not Spotify. Google simply doesn't allow it at current. Presumbly to stop other browsers like Firefox from implementing the streaming.

It just unfortunately means that at current no desktop apps on windows/mac can initiate a stream. Once Spotify is connected to the stream (initiated by a mobile device), it can choose what to stream to it, so you can control it from a desktop application.

I don't know why you guys neglect the desktop users. They are the power users. I would rather switch to google music which comes with youtube red subscription which I have the seemless integration.

Did you..did you even bother reading the explanation given by bjorot?

Do me a favor, read the posts ahead of you and do more research before making such a meaningless post. It's out of Spotifys hands. End of story.

Protip: go to open.spotify.com in your Chrome Browser, cast from there to your Chromecast Audio and then use the Desktop App for more convenience. The Desktop app will work together with the Spotify web player in your Chrome browser. You can now even control volume in the Desktop Spotify app, which isn't possible when you connect your phone to the Chromecast, then you can only control volume with your phone.

Just now seeing your message. No, it is not the same thing. When I say 'device', I am referring to my phone. When I say Chromecast, I am referring to Chromecast itself. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I hope you'll be pleased to hear that as of version 1.1.38 Cast playback is now supported on the desktop client!

/Björn

Impressive. Just updated and works in Mac too. About time! 😄

Suggested posts