Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify attempts to open then just shuts down

Solved!

Spotify attempts to open then just shuts down

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.535

My Question or Issue

Spotify auto updated yesterday and now it will not run.  It attempts to start up then closes down.  I uninstalled today and reinstalled v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a from the website and it does the same thing.  I have spoken with several other people who hare having the same issue.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Our tech teams are still looking into this however, since we haven't received any other contacts or reports after we asked for more info, we're now moving this thread back to the Help Boards.

If you come across this issue in the future, try switching the proxy setting from "auto-detect" to "no proxy" and in case that doesn't do the trick, make sure to cover the following troubleshooting steps:

• Perform a clean reinstall. You can find the exact steps to do so here.
  • Check the firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.
  • Disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turn off VPN if in use.
  • Remove entries in the hosts file. Head here to find out how.
  • If possible, switch to another internet connection (WiFi, mobile data via tethering, or going direct via LAN cable).
  • Try accessing the web player before re-attempting to log back in to the desktop client.
  • Run Spotify on Safe Mode.

Hope this info is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

115 Replies

Hey @pcc - help's here!

Did you download the app for desktop directly from the Spotify website, or did you download it from the Windows Store?

If you've tried one of the above and it didn't work, do you mind trying the other and seeing if that works for you instead?

If neither of those work, could you try a clean reinstall of the app, making sure to clear all app data in the process (step 4 in this support article)?

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation and this was an issue at work. I have tried the installer from the website and from the MS app store (uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times) and they both fail at launch.  This seems to be an issue on all of our computers here at work (I'm the Systems Administrator) not just mine.  The previous version worked fine but since the latest version at the time of my original post (and I just tried a clean install again with no luck) fail on all of our work computers.  I had one user here who had not received the Spotify update for several days after mine stopped working and it was still working fine for him (I forgot to check the version).  But as soon as his computer pulled the Spotify update it stopped working like everyone else here at work.

Is there a "debug" mode I can turn on to capture some error data for you?

Thanks!

Since then I have also uninstalled my Sophos anti-virus software and uninstalled the Microsoft Windows 10 update that happened right before the Spotify update.  Then rebooted and reinstalled Spotify again and it still crashes at launch.

Hey @pcc 

I'd suggest trying another network connection on any of the computers where Spotify fails to launch.

You could also try checking your gateway firewall to see if there's anything Spotify / fastly-related that is being blocked.

About debugging, check out the Event Viewer logs, maybe they hold information on what's happening.
Spotify has a debug.log file under %appdata%\roaming, but I don't know how much it will help you.
(note: I have three errors there and everything works on my end.)

About the post - most likely just a bad detection. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Sebasty

I'm not seeing a debug.log file in the %appdata%\Roaming\Spotify folder.  Do I need to add a switch to the Spotify shortcut to get it to create the log?

I just double checked Event Viewer and it does appear to be logging a warning.  Searching the registry for the CLSID and APPID they both appear to be referencing "RuntimeBroker.exe" but it isn't helpful to me (see below).  Again, absolutely nothing with the workstations changed other then Spotify updating and then not working.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 1/7/2020 2:10:39 PM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: *****\******
Computer: ***************
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user *****\****** SID (S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-07T19:10:39.967908800Z" />
<EventRecordID>47323</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{ad42fa74-52bb-4ad5-98cf-b50621151cbc}" />
<Execution ProcessID="1176" ThreadID="20584" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>***************</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}</Data>
<Data Name="param6">***************</Data>
<Data Name="param7">************</Data>
<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-21-1794716677-328732843-9522986-1163</Data>
<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
<Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
<Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Looks like another of my replies may have been removed as spam.  Please restore it.

I found another post on the forum that showed the command to display a console.  Attached is the results of running Spotify to the console.  It is showing a storage error but the path it references does exist.

spotify error.JPG

@pcc 

I see your Event Viewer post, no worries 🙂

I tried running the console on my client to see what I get, I got the same error:

storageerror.png

..with changes on error and OS error numbers.

Does your Spotify client crash with this being the last output in the console?

I'm also not sure that the DCOM event is connected to Spotify. Does it happen at the same time (repeat if you will) when Spotify client refuses to work?

There's also Windows applet called Process Monitor that allows you to see exactly what processes are going on in the system. Maybe that shows something interesting at the time Spotify crashes.

Also, does the workplace have proxy/VPN?
You could try reinstalling Spotify cleanly using this guide, and using the offline installer.

Let me know your findings 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I also have the same issue. I cannot use the desktop app on my Windows 10  laptop.

I tried all the solutions on the forum however i still cannot use it.

From what i have seen, each time when i open the app, the Ram usage on the application sky rockets to the point it hits 96% and then it crashes.

I dont know if i should start my own thread or see the updates in this one?

Have the same issue here. I tried reinstalling via Windows Store and also via the installer from the website. The program starts with loading ~2GB ram and then crashes. I am also not able to click anything since the program does not respond.

This is also version 1.1.22.633.g1bab253a

Hey @arvastra and @Kalvin22 

Are you both running 1.1.22.633.g1bab253a?

Also, please tell me:

1. if you have the "Local Files" feature enabled. That may sometimes be causing memory issues.

2. if this is happening in a specific network (at work or elsewhere), or anywhere you connect to?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hi

Im not too sure on the version, maybe the screenshot will help.

Kalvin22_0-1578481457691.png

Also, im using it on the work laptop. I have full admin rights.

What do you mean by local files?

Please let me know what i should remove or disable.

Thanks.

@Kalvin22 

Thank you for the screenshot 🙂

Local Files are music files on your own computer and Spotify is able to include these to be added to playlists.

Sometimes the setting may cause problems with memory usage. It can be disabled within the client's settings though.

Are you able to connect your work laptop in any other connections too? I'm just trying to see if the issue could be linked to network.

Also, try clean reinstall using this offline installer.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

That particular DCOM warning happens every time I attempt to run Spotify.  I realize those warnings are usually nothing to worry about but the fact that it happens each time I attempt to run the app was a flag for me and thought I would mention it just in case.

As I said, absolutely nothing changed between a working version of Spotify and it auto updating and no longer working.  No computer changes, no firewall/proxy changes.  You are reaching asking about that.  There is obviously an issue with the current version of Spotify.  Frankly I'm amazed how crappy the support is for a product used by millions of people each and every day.  They should have a dedicated support ticket system that actually goes to the developers, not just random postings on a forum.

Hi @RockStar,

So, i disconnected the LAN cable from the network at work and used the connection of wifi (company wifi) and when i opened Spotify......... it works!!!!

As soon as i plug the LAN cable back in, the RAM usage sky rockets and it crashes.

We did not make any changes to the company internet polices.

Any idea why this would happen?

Also, i did not installed the offline spotify. Its using the latest version from the website.

I'm having the same issue on 1.1.22.633. Have tried clean reinstalling both from the Windows 10 store and the spotify full installer off the website with the same behaviour in both. 

Thank you for your answer, sadly both suggestions do not work. Since I reinstalled spotify multiple times I can not login or see the settings regarding local files.

The offline installer works, the application is installed an can be started. But the login fails: as soon as spotify connects online, the same memory usage appears and I cannot interact with the program anymore. Eventually it crashes.

This might also be interesting, after every attempt to start the app, the windows taskbar looks like this...

Screenshot_tasks.png

Hey, all

Is it possible for you to use the web player? If not, let me know what errors it gives.

🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hi the web player works fine for me. And I've rolled back to an older desktop version which also works fine. It's just this particular desktop version (1.1.22.633) which seems to be an issue for me. 

Suggested posts