Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't connect through Chromecast (via browser)

Solved!

Spotify can't connect through Chromecast (via browser)

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Personal Computer through Chrome Browser

Operating System

Windows 10 

My Question or Issue

Hello.
I'm getting a lot of problems when I try to use Spotify through chromecast. Every time I try to stream it from my computer to TV, it loses the connection and quickly returns to dialog box where I press "connect". In TV the Spotify logo appears, but suddenly it returns to idle screen (those wallpapers). On counterpart, I can stream my tab to my TV, suggesting everything - but spotify app - is OK. But I don't like this way because I need to keep a tab open on PC.

If this issue continues unassessed I'll start to consider to cancel my premium subscription, since with my smartphone sometimes this problem happens too (less often, though).

Any ideas? Is it a Google problem or a Spotify problem?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

To @Arauggio and @lottware

As in a way wrote on the link @Peter provide, I installed the Google Chrome Canary (night builds for developers).

At least for me, on macOS, using Chrome Canary 74.0.3694.0 64bit on Mac, it is working again. Cast plugin has also the volume control (missing on the last version of official chrome).

Canary is a second application so I will keep both Chrome (standard and develop version) installed till an update will fix the issue on the official Chrome.

I also added my comment on the google support forum (link @Peter provided)

Hope this solution apply also on Windows using the last Canary version of Chrome.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Chromecast working perfectly except with spotify web player.
When try to cast from https://open.spotify.com it just starts and then disconnects
The same Chromecast working perfectly casting tab i Chrome and when playing from Spotify application used in phone.
I've tried another Chromecast device, same behaviour.
Any ideas?

?

Hey @Arauggio and @lottware,

Thanks for getting in toch!

We'd like to find out if this is related to the browser. So could you try to to stream via a different browser to see if that makes any difference. Alternatively you could try to stream from our standalone client which you can download here.

Let us know if this helps. Let us know what the result is.

Have a nice day.

No Guido,

the only browser that "work" is Google Chrome and the official App doesn't support directly streaming to Chromecast!

Hello Guido,

I have the same problem and it's related to Chrome.

Chrome has a builtin feature to stream the browser to a Chromecast Audio.

I use it always to stream music because it does not require the phone and it's the way i stream.I had to start to use another streaming service to be able to stream my music from chrome to chromecast, because Spotify (open.spotify.com) stopped to work: when you start to stream the tab to chromecast, it stops within 1 second.

This looks to be some kind of problem both on Chrome and Sporify web player.

I really wish this problem will be solved asap.

Until a few weeks ago there was a workaround that unfortunately, after some updates of Chrome and / or Sporify web player, no longer works:
instead of selecting the chromecast in the lower right corner with the "official" option, I had discovered that, by casting the complete Chrome tab, through its "transmit" function the audio stream was played correctly - I do not know if I explain myself.
For a few weeks, even trying this workaround, the normal playback option of Spotify is automatically activated - so I'm always at the starting point.
Sorry for my english but I'm italian.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us about this.

@lottware - apologies for the confusion. You're absolutely right, you can only stream to Chromecast via the mobile app or the web player on desktop.

@Claudiotto - just to confirm, it works normally when using another browser other than Chrome? I noticed a user posted recently in the Google Chrome forum here with a similar issue, but they haven't received a reply yet. Perhaps you could write in the thread saying that you're experiencing this issue?

Could we ask you to all try the following and report to us whether the issue remains:

1. Cast Spotify through a mobile device to your Chromecast device
  2. Start to control Spotify through the web player by playing a song?

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your replies.

Cast Spotify through a mobile device to your Chromecast device works perfectly.

I've been casting an old Nexus 10 tablet for two weeks and the flow does not miss a beat.

The problem occurs only using Spotify Web Player from PC 😞

@Peter 

the problem is Chrome related, other browser does not have the built-in chromecast stream function. It works (well, now we have to say "it did work") just on Chrome.

Thank for the link: yes, it is exactly as reported on the google forum and as far as i understand is the same problem @lottware is having.

I'll add a message there too because this issue now it's very frustrating.

@lottware

same here: i was used to stream the entire tab, it worked perfectly in the past. (i'm italian too 😄 )

@Arauggio wrote:

Operating System

Windows 10 

Just to clarify, i'm using MacOS Mojave (10.14.2) so it looks like the same problem is happening both on Windows and Mac. 

Marked as solution

To @Arauggio and @lottware

As in a way wrote on the link @Peter provide, I installed the Google Chrome Canary (night builds for developers).

At least for me, on macOS, using Chrome Canary 74.0.3694.0 64bit on Mac, it is working again. Cast plugin has also the volume control (missing on the last version of official chrome).

Canary is a second application so I will keep both Chrome (standard and develop version) installed till an update will fix the issue on the official Chrome.

I also added my comment on the google support forum (link @Peter provided)

Hope this solution apply also on Windows using the last Canary version of Chrome.

So good.

In any case it would be desirable for the problem to be fixed.
It is not possible to use workarounds to make two official products work properly.
Is it so difficult to integrate this functionality into the windows client? or at least make transmission via web player stable?

Suggested posts