Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I try to play a song I get the following error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I have tried all the fixes I have seen:

Reinstalling app.

Using version from Microsoft store.

Disabled hardware acceleration.

Disabled crossfading.

Changed speaker options.

Deleted local files.

I've had this issue before and it was fixed by using the version from the Microsoft store but this isn't working now.

Spotify works on my phone and my laptop, web player also works only the desktop app doesn't work.

91 Replies

FIX FOR WINDOWS 3/5/2024 -  This process worked for my Windows PC.
Go to System >> Apps >> Installed Apps >> Spotify

Scroll down to Reset >> If this app isn't working right, reset it. The apps data will be deleted.

When you log back in all will be right with the world.

Despite the app looking in order, it won't allow me to play any of the songs I've selected. It posts the following message: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

I’m having the same problem. Spotify will not play the song I choose on my Windows computer, but it will on Spotify on my iPhone. How to fix this

Thanks for that. Are we the only ones? I forgot to mention yesterday that I had uninstalled the Spotify app and reinstalled it - to no avail. Although, visually, the whole Spotify site looks like it's working perfectly, it refuses to play any of the songs I try to play. This does not happen on my Android mobile phone, which works fine. If this problem persists, I will be at a loss as to where to get help.

Cool - my issue was even simpler to solve..  only audio option on my pc was Bluetooth - with my headphones off - gave me that message... Turned on the headphones and was right in the world..  music wise.. 

Web player wont play any music for me anymore. Using firefox. I cant use the app because it crashes other programs I use. Web player worked fine earlier today, I've tried reloading the page and it still shits the bed.

If i click on a song it says spotify cant play this now and if i have a file i can import it? then it shuffles and plays a random song but it stops a few seconds in but the time still goes. this is on the website

For example, let's just try to listen to Water by Ten it skips the song and asks if I have an importation of the song then says the same thing to the other song and it just continues.

spotify refuses to play back any songs after I tried to play a song that had been removed from spotify by the artist.

If you're using Spotify in your browser, try opening it in a "Private Browsing" tab instead. That solved this issue for me....good luck.

i also had the same issue. but when i logged out and logged back in, the problem was resolved. im sure this wont work for everybody, but still worth a shot right?

please... fix that... I pay for 4 years now, and it's been here since the beginning, I reproduce once a day on my desktop PC, what can be so difficult to fix... I'll help investigate if you want, but that's not acceptable from an audio stream website to not be able to play audio

Suggested posts