Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I try to play a song I get the following error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I have tried all the fixes I have seen:

Reinstalling app.

Using version from Microsoft store.

Disabled hardware acceleration.

Disabled crossfading.

Changed speaker options.

Deleted local files.

I've had this issue before and it was fixed by using the version from the Microsoft store but this isn't working now.

Spotify works on my phone and my laptop, web player also works only the desktop app doesn't work.

91 Replies

Plan

Free

Country

India

Device

Desktop (Windows)

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

My Question or Issue

Hi !. I'm Tarun, My playlist gets pause and says a message, "Can't play the current song". So please resolve my issue as soon as possible. 

signed out in again no difference

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

United States

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I want to play a song on Spotify by selecting an artist, I would get a random error message that says, "Spotify can't play this song right now. If you have it imported" or something of that nature. I do not understand what that means, nor why that occurs whenever I want to play my music.

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 11 Pro

I have the same problem. It started to happen when I installed a new soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy FX V2. Now, Spotify only works when my headphones are attached (HP Omen Blast) Via USB. When headphones are connected via jack, Spotify don't work at all. I have tried everything, also with clean installation of Spotify. All other apps work normally (like Skype).

adorek_0-1705505208148.png

Hi, I have the same weird problem.

Waiting for any solution from the community 😉

Displaying "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer, you can import it." I have already gone to "File" and made sure that I am NOT in "offline mode." My internet connection is good.

Hi MihailY Jeremy or anyone who has encountered this and resolved it.

I'm having an issue with one song at the moment, "...And to Those I Love, Thanks for Sticking Around" by $uicideboy$. I am trying to play the song from my Liked Songs in my library, but I get the message that's been called out here, "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

To my understanding, I am not playing from local files. Every song I've tried besides that one seems to play just fine. I've attempted some of the suggested solutions mentioned here in this thread thus far, but unfortunately to no avail. 

Interestingly, when I go to the song via search in Spotify (not search in my library/Liked Songs) and play it from the search results or from the artist's page, it plays just fine without issues. For reference, I'm trying to play this from the Desktop App and not the web-player. 

Appreciate any assistance with this! 

I know this is an old thread, but it's what is happening on my wife's Macbook now.  I saved an album (mp3 files) to her machine and put them into the Music folder.  In Spotify, I can see them in Local Files and can add them to a new playlist.  However, when I try to play them on that Macbook they are grayed out and I get the exact error mentioned in the opening post.  How do I address this so I can do the following:
1. play that playlist on her Macbook

2. play that playlist on her iPhone or other devices

Thanks in advance for the help!

it fixed for me when I logged out and logged in

I have identified that somehow the output sound device was blank for the app. Changing this to default fixed it for me.

open sound settings -> advanced sound options: App volume & device preferences and check if you have the output to default or your local preference... 

This in Windows settings... not app settings... 

Cuando quiero reproducir música me aparece un cartel que dice: "Spotify no puede reproducir esto ahora. Podés importar el archivo si lo tenés en tu computadora."

The Spotify desktop app is not playing any music, when trying to play a song, it pops up saying "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."
I am on a desktop pc running windows 11, all audio drivers up to date, I have tried reinstalling, restarting, signing in and out, disabling hardware acceleration etc. with no success. Any advice out there?

Same here, it had been already 2 days since. Mine are all faded out, especially the explicit ones, like 99% of the songs out here. It's annoying. 

Plan - Premium

Country - Germany

Operating System - Windows 11

My Question or Issue

I'm completely unable to use the Spotify WebPlayer on my PC. Whenever I click on a song it displays the message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." It then immediately skips a seemingly random amount of songs in the queue, playing one for 10 seconds and then falling completely silent. Note that I'm not trying to play any local files.

The desktop app works completely fine, though I'd prefer to use the web version as it's more convenient to use when working in my browser. I'm not facing this issue on MacOS webplayers. I am however facing this issue despite what account I'm logged in on Windows 11 chromium.

Hey @bakhurr

To fix this problem, I would recommend clearing your browser's cache and cookies. I will provide instructions for Chrome, but most browsers follow a very similar process.

1. Make sure you're on the newest version of Chrome. Click on the hamburger menu and go to Help > About Chrome.

Chrome will auto-update if there is one available.

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1675347735774.png

2. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. On the sidebar, on the same update page, click on Privacy and security, and Clear browsing data. 

Click on the advanced tab, and select Cookies, Cache, and Hosted app data with the time range set to all time.

kaworu_bloodpaw_1-1675347735779.png

3. Restart Chrome by clicking on the hamburger menu and clicking Exit.

kaworu_bloodpaw_2-1675347735780.png

Let me know how it goes! If this doesn't fix your problem, I've got some other steps we can try.

desktop app**bleep**, "spotify cant play, if u have it downloaded u can import it". Like **bleep** no i dont have it downloaded thats why i use spotify like wth.

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." I am attempting to play any song. Nothing works. Downloaded playlists also don't work whether I am on online or offline.

Im listening to spotify, then random times, some music gets ''content not available'' when it was 20 seconds ago

I solved this by explicitly setting the App sound Output Device in the Windows settings:

DevinRC_1-1709194290108.png

In my case, I had just added a new Bluetooth device and it had bugged out to show nothing (blank) as the Output device. After setting it to a valid value (Default), Spotify started working again as expected.

Suggested posts