Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I try to play a song I get the following error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I have tried all the fixes I have seen:

Reinstalling app.

Using version from Microsoft store.

Disabled hardware acceleration.

Disabled crossfading.

Changed speaker options.

Deleted local files.

I've had this issue before and it was fixed by using the version from the Microsoft store but this isn't working now.

Spotify works on my phone and my laptop, web player also works only the desktop app doesn't work.

91 Replies

This worked for me too, **bleep** of spotify to have a program soley made for playing sound and music, but that same program is unable to handle higher quality sound

Plan

Student Premium

Country

Greece

Device

Macbook Pro 2017

Operating System

MacOS Ventura (13.6.1)

My Question or Issue

I updated the app on my MacOS and after it reopened, it stopped working and it showed the message "Something went wrong". I tried to close and reopen the app, delete and redownload it, check the app with a different internet connection, shut down the device and nothing seems to be working. Strangely, I checked the web version and it is not working either, showing the same message on the screen. I double-checked with a different browser, with the same result. However, the app on my phone is working just fine. Any idea on how I can solve this issue? 

I have the same problem except mine is on the web version.

Also having the same issues. It's happening on the web player for both my Windows 10 desktop and my Windows 7 laptop.

I have this same issue. Not sure how to fix it. However I tried using Safari and works on there.

I have the same issue with my Mac M1. What is this about? I hoped it would be fixed when updating to Mac OS Sonoma and by doing a hard uninstallation (deleting all Spotify files). Downloaded and installed latest version from Spotify page - still same issue. I can't see anything on the "home page" and can't search any new songs without getting "Something went wrong". Had this now for about 2 weeks, never before. Works fine on my iPhone.

Any suggested next steps for this?

Hey folks, 

Could you check if the correct audio output device has been selected for Spotify? Make sure also that the sample rate of the device is set to anywhere between 44.1 kHz and 192 kHz.

Hope this helps.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

my spotify will randomly stop working momentarily, or completely whenever i use it without airpods connected. it's been happening for over a year now, and 'song can't be played' always pops up

Checking audio devices in Windows worked, under App volume and device preferences. Something got crazy there, but fixing that fixed the problem for me. Would have never thought to look there. Thanks to the Mods!

It was also my problem!! Strange bug...

My problem was fixed by changing the sample rate from 48kHz to 44.1kHz in my Focusrite Control desktop app.

Adding my solution because I was having the same problem and it turned out to be an easy fix for me.

I found out that in my Sound Settings, my Spotify specific rules where I always play through speakers regardless of what other Bluetooth headphones etc are attached, the output device was showing as blank. When I reset that to Speakers, voila it worked again. 

I had to change the output audio for the app specially in windows settings as it had nothing selected for some reason.

This solution worked for me!! Thanks!

also, tried all these tips and still won't work on my PC. hmmm.

I am a couple months late but for me the fix was to select the correct audio output device (default device used by all programs)

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Spotify's browser functionality. I listen to Spotify at work and cannot download the app freely. Because of this, I use the Spotify Browser/Web Player.
The Web Player constantly refuses to play songs that I know for a fact are available through Spotify and will possibly play after refreshing my browser. I have tried every potential fix on my end of the issue and even contacted my work's tech team to make sure it wasn't our firewalls. I understand that Spotify doesn't care about the Web Player, considering how pathetic its functionality is compared to the apps, but it's a basic feature for a music player to PLAY MUSIC.

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Pc 

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

I have a roland rubix24 usb audio interface. Whenever I plug my headphones on it spotify says this message when I try to play music: Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it. I tried some solutions found online but nothing worked. When I plug my headphones directly on my pc it works just fine but I need to plug my  headphones on my audio interface for music and microphone. 

Edit: I tried to unplug my microphone from the pc and plug it into the rubix audio interface while the music is playing and it plays it only on the left ear. If i close spotify and try it again it has the same problem. 

Rubix24 audio.png
plugged in PC.png

I have this same problem, but it is not audio interface related. It comes and goes completely randomly. I had it last week for couple of hours, then suddenly all good, and now it's back again.

Suggested posts