Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error code auth 2 when login in Windows 10 Spotify App

Solved!

Error code auth 2 when login in Windows 10 Spotify App

Plan

Premium

Device

Windows Computer

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 1909

My Question or Issue

I couldn't sign in Spotify via Facebook on Windows 10, it showed "The username or password is incorrect(Error code:auth:2)". It worked fine before I reinstalled my Windows system.

I had some tries to solve the problem but still couldn't solve the problem:

1. Logging into both web download version and Microsoft Store version of Spotify via Facebook on Windows 10, they showed identical error code.

2. Logging into the web version of Spotify via Facebook and it worked, I could check my account and listen to music on Spotify for web. Moreover, I could login via Facebook on my iPad, then I assume my account and password are correct.

3. Restarting my computer as well as the router, but the problem persisted.

4. Flushing DNS and closing antivirus software, as well as firewall, it couldn't solve the problem.

5. Connecting to 4G network and the issue continued.

Spotify community article doesn't have any issue like this, could someone tell me how to solve the problem? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Finally managed to log into Spotify Microsoft Store version, by resetting my password and login via email.

I think login via Facebook feature on Spotify for Windows might have some issues. And "Set device password" might cause some misleading, I never what does the  "separate password" doing. Actually it's just the normal "account password" rather than "device password".

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey there @yorkhan7

Help’s here!

If none of the troubleshooting steps you've tried helped you we can recommend performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your PC. This way you'll get the latest app version with all necessary updates. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall depending on the type of affected device.

Tip: Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

In case the clean reinstall doesn't do the trick for you, send us a screenshot of the error message you receive. You can do this by using the Insert Photos option in the post editor. This way we can take a closer look at the issue.

We'll look out for your reply. 

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your quick response!

I followed step by step to do a clean reinstall but the problem persisted.

Before reinstalling my Windows 10, I was using the Microsoft Store Spotify version and it always runs well. After the system reinstall, because the Spotify software had been erased on that disk, I erased all the downloaded files of Spotify manually. And I tried a couple of times to install and reinstall Spotify but it didn't work.

Following the step to do a clean reinstall, I found no file named "Spotify" in my AppData roaming and local file. In addition, I used the "everything" software to search all my disk and confirmed there was no Spotify app remains. 

As you ask, I snap a screenshot of the issue, and please have a look. Looking for your help!

York

photo_2020-08-10_17-11-32.jpg

Hi Ivan,

A week has passed and I still couldn't solve the problem. I tried every solution on your list but it could not work.

The error code is auth:2, saying wrong username or password. But I can log in via Facebook on the web, on my iPad and iPhone, the only issue is that I can't log into Spotify app for Windows, so I assume something wrong on my app, do you have some clue to solve the issue?

Marked as solution

Finally managed to log into Spotify Microsoft Store version, by resetting my password and login via email.

I think login via Facebook feature on Spotify for Windows might have some issues. And "Set device password" might cause some misleading, I never what does the  "separate password" doing. Actually it's just the normal "account password" rather than "device password".

Tried all the trouble shooting even the password reset and still getting the Auth2 error on a brand new laptop can someone tell me why and how to fix this 

If you have the same error code as I do, try resetting your password and login via email rather than login via Facebook.

same for me. I don't use Facebook so that's not an option for me.

Hey there @tjovanovski,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

We recommend resetting your password here, restarting your device, and trying again.

If you have issues, take a look and follow the recommendations in this article.

If the issue persists, try using a different connection and make sure that the firewall or antivirus isn't blocking Spotify.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi!

So I had the same issue as the others in this post and it was infuriating me to no end, nothing the staff suggested worked. However I got it to work, at least for me, by using my username and not the full email at the login screen, both for the browser version and the windows 10 executable. I don't know if it will help anyone but I hope so, cheers!

Hi,
My name is shawn and i've had this error since i installed spotify (Device - Windows 10 - Lenovo)
I tried to reset my password but the button does nothing i tried to login with google yet it does nothing,
I tried my Username, I tried my email with the @ and without the @,
Still nothing.
What should i do?

Hey there @RonaldoShawn,

Thanks for the post.

I'd recommend doing a clean reinstall of your app, following this guide, to assure you're running the latest app version and that there are no corrupted files from a previous installation of Spotify on your system. If you've previously installed the app from the MS store, you can try downloading it from our website or vice versa.

Can you clarify if nothing happens when you try to reset your password, or when you enter your user credentials and press Log in on the app.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts