Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows 10 Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 Latest Update

My Question or Issue

I have had this message pop up after a fresh install of Windows 10, it's working in the web player but not the desktop app. I've tried turning off local file checks, hardware acceleration, turning off my firewall/antivirus, and occassionally I get an Error 18 at the login page when I try to log out, close, and restart/reinstall the app.

It also doesn't matter if I have downloaded the song to my desktop or not, it just refuses to play.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

An interesting update, finally cleaned out Spotify and installed the legacy version, and the legacy version was throwing a bad sound card issue, adjusted some settings and it still didn't like it. Going to try different settings with my DAC now to see if it will play at different settings. It played just fine before my wipe and reinstall of Windows 10, and I have no idea why Spotify wouldn't play based on sound card settings, if anything it should have an override to try to throw music and see if it would still play.

EDIT - Spotify didn't like my sound card's settings running above 192KHz. Apparently that's the maximum as I had set my card to 384KHz after the fresh install since I didn't have the option before. Interesting. Hope Spotify can become compatible with that, though I know other programs don't like high sampling rates. Please add this to any troubleshooting that 192KHz is the maximum sampling rate. 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit all work fine up through 192KHz, but any higher and the app wont play.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi there,

Check out this discussion - it seems to be regarding the same issue.

Let me know if this helps your problem.

One of the problems is I think the Windows 10 one is outdated, since now it wants to sync with the Microsoft store, and there is no option in the programs and features in the control panel to uninstall, and even in the microsoft store there isn't an uninstall option, just Launch, pin to taskbar, and pin to start.

I think Spotify needs to update their App for the recent Windows patch since it only gave me issues after the patch. I can try to delete the files locally, but I think I'm going to have to monkey with the registry to purge all of it.

Marked as solution

An interesting update, finally cleaned out Spotify and installed the legacy version, and the legacy version was throwing a bad sound card issue, adjusted some settings and it still didn't like it. Going to try different settings with my DAC now to see if it will play at different settings. It played just fine before my wipe and reinstall of Windows 10, and I have no idea why Spotify wouldn't play based on sound card settings, if anything it should have an override to try to throw music and see if it would still play.

EDIT - Spotify didn't like my sound card's settings running above 192KHz. Apparently that's the maximum as I had set my card to 384KHz after the fresh install since I didn't have the option before. Interesting. Hope Spotify can become compatible with that, though I know other programs don't like high sampling rates. Please add this to any troubleshooting that 192KHz is the maximum sampling rate. 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit all work fine up through 192KHz, but any higher and the app wont play.

Just wondering why you would want to go above the standard 24-bit anyway? 🙂
In any case, is your problem related to the high bitrate or are you still having issues?

The bits are fine, its the sampling KHz.

And I like to have it set high just because 😛

But since it only works at 192KHz or below, it's staying at 192KHz.

I just finished checking with the support team and we solved the issue by disabling hardware acceleration in the desktop app. Hopefully this helps anyone else dealing with this issue.

Suggested posts