Spotify connect with VPN

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Operating System

Windows 10 laptops

My Question or Issue

For reasons unrelated to spotify I need to use a VPN on my computer. I am US based on use TunnelBear which gives me a US IP. I also like to use the "Spotify Connect" feature to be able to control the computer with my phone or another computer. This used to work fine, but recently I have noticed that Spotify is not able to see my device on the VPN or control it. If I disconnect from the VPN it works fine. Might it work if I use another VPN instead? Any other suggestions?

For reasons unrelated to spotify I need to use a VPN on my computer. I am US based on use TunnelBear which gives me a US IP. I also like to use the "Spotify Connect" feature to be able to control the computer with my phone or another computer. This used to work fine, but recently I have noticed that Spotify is not able to see my device on the VPN or control it. If I disconnect from the VPN it works fine. Might it work if I use another VPN instead? Any other suggestions?

28 Replies

Same issue here with the MSStore version of Spotify.

While I'm working I'm required to be connected to the office network through FortiClient. When I'm off the VPN, I can use  the desktop app and Spotify Connect to control an NVidia Shield which is connected to my hifi equipment. When I'm using VPN, my pc can't connect to the Shield at all.

BUT, if I use the web-based player, everything works without issues - regardless of the network interface.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts.

While connected to a work/ school network your network administrator might impose certain traffic limitations and block certain networking ports which are necessary for the proper function of the Spotify app. Some companies impose restrictions on the connectivity between devices, so apps like Spotify can't freely access other devices on the secured network. 

In these cases there is not much we can do from our end and we can't guarantee that the app and Connect feature would work as expected on such networks covered by VPN or company firewall. 

As we've previously mentioned it's best to turn to your IT department about this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@alex: Maybe I've missed something essential, but can you please explain why the web player doesn't care about VPN but the desktop player does?

To wit: I can use Spotify Connect to control the Shield from my pc when I'm using the web player - whether I have VPN on or off. When I'm using the MSStore app, Spotify Connect just doesn't connect to any external devices with the VPN on. Once VPN is disconnected, the app version works identically to the web player.

Hey @MalkMcJorma,

The Web Player and the desktop app function slightly differently from one another (just like the Android and iOS apps), so there might be some inconsistencies between the two. In general, the desktop app isn't designed to support a VPN, so we cannot guarantee proper functionality when using one.

Hope this clears things up. Take care!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I guess the expected response would be for me to ask if the desktop app could be redesigned to support VPN. But, I've learned my lessons in the past as it comes to actually asking for any useful features. Best not to cling to any vain hope that things might change.

Problem seems to have cropped up again with mullvad now. Very annoying. Hope Amazon music makes a better connect competition that I can switch to..

Hello, I just gave a try this morning, totally by chance after update to 1.2.9.743 and… it works !

I'll keep on testing this week, I hope that'll be ok now.

Wow! Just tested with FortiClient and the desktop/store player indeed connects to my Shield with the VPN on.

I'll definitely keep on testing more myself. Fingers crossed.

Hello! I just installed a VPN and had this same issue with spotify where i could not "see"any of ly Alexa devices. However i stumbled on this post and I must say that toggling "show only local devices" to OFF as you suggested has Fixed the issue for me!  I now am connected to my VPN and can use Spotify and still see my Alexa devices for playback. Thank you!

Suggested posts