Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

i use the free version of spotify at work every day on windows 7 and have been using it for a good 6 months now. loved every minute of it until the last week!

the songs are taking forever to load now instead of instantly playing like they used to and even worse they are constantly stopping. i haven't had a song play all the way through for over a week now. it appears that the songs are buffering or similar however nothing on my end has changed lately. same computer, same internet speed (6mb/s from speedtest.net, not amazing but has been sufficient for a long time and can stream videos from youtube perfectly fine), no other new programs or settings.

so far i have been looking on the net for solutions and have so far, based on info i have found, i have tried turning hardware acceleration on/off, disabling my trend micro, doing a complete clean re-installation of spotify (including restarting the computer in between re-installation) and changing our dns server to 8.8.4.8 etc.  Nothing seems to have worked so far so does anybody have any other solutions they have tried and worked or is this not a problem on my end and the servers or something are being over taxed?? help please, this constant pausing/buffering is driving me nuts!!

83 Replies

Great thanks.
BTW still crap here 😞

my premium account on a virgin media 100meg connection wont play continuosly it breaks, hesitates and sometimes stops completley for a few seconds --more stultify than spotify. I dont know how people on a slower connection manage.

i have tried the previous "fixes" and none work.   

Same problems here.  Taking upwards of 30 seconds to buffer 5 seconds of music.  I can't listen to anything right now because the lag is so bad.

Edit: and I should note that I'm a premium subscriber as well, with high quality streaming enabled.

You can try this test to rule out a network issue.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Does the High Quality Streaming option make it any better or worse?

Enable/Disable Hardware Acceleration.

Head over too:

C:\Users\**YourUserNameHere**\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage

And with Spotify closed! Delete the contents. I tested this and it didnt effect my playlists or anything.

Start it back up and try and play a song.

Premium / iinet / Melbourne / OSX / iPhone / iPad

Just signed up to spotify a few weeks back and was initially very impressed until the last few days the service has become unusable on iinet connection. It constantly disconnects and reconnects to the service resulting in the music pausing and playing. Rendering the service completely unusable. Spent hours working on my wireless LAN and Internet connection, but ruled this out when a realized I was able to watch a HD iTunes movie without a hitch!

This seems to be related directly with being with iinet as there is no problem when using the service in the off-line mode and also works flawlessly when streaming directly off Telstra 3G service when traveling into work on train!

As I'm currently on the initial trial, I will unfortunately not be signing up to the service unless this issue is sorted!

Note, it also has issues with searches and downloading music for off-line use. It takes forever!!! Assume thisproblems a related problem on iinet

Appears to be working again... Can others confirm this on iinet?

Ok so I've been having the same problems.

Here's my temp solution. Use the Spotify web browser player https://play.spotify.com/home

It doesn't allow you to use your phone as a remote but it will play everything smoothly just like the standalone used to.

If that last link doesn't work you may need to log into your facebook via this link to get the web browser running.

Web Browser Log-in

Have been experiencing exactly the same issues as you (pls refer to my earlier post in Mac Desktop Section)

I too am with iinet (in Brisbane) and the service has been flakey for a few weeks now.

I'm with Vodafone and have not had any issues using Spotify on my iPhone on the train via Voda's 3G.

Interestingly, after going to the trouble of adding an additional backup music service to my Sonos (for this afternoon's party), Spotify now seems a lot better. 

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens over the rest of the day

Cheers

I'm in Brisbane, on iinet and have been having this issue for the last couple of days too. Extremely annoying!!

Seems fine on Telstra 3G but home iinet connection is struggling to get through a song on low stream quality without stopping to buffer.

Web player seems to be going OK.

R

Can everyone please state the Operating system/s and ISP that you're using? I'm seeing a lot of iinet users here (myself included). This problem could be an iinet issue?

B

Win 7

Win 8

iphone app

iinet

Windows 7, Suddenlink cable, Premium account.

Experiencing the same as others on this topic.

Premium Account

Windows Vista
OS X 10.8.2 - Spotify Client (0.8.5.1333)

Iphone & IPad

ISP: iiNet

Perth, Western Australia

Web client works fine.

Same problem here buddy, I am on iinet in perth also connecting around 4mbs.  I use spotify on a couple of mid range win7 machines, and also on my Samsung galaxy 10.1 tablet and samsung Galaxy s 3 phone (I use both only through wifi, never 3g).  Had spotify for a few moths now and I was a major phanboy but the last few weeks it has gone to rubbish. Maybe heavier usuage at christmas/holiday time.  Looking at cancelling and going with someone else if they don't sort this out.

Win7

Win8

Android (SGS3)

Android tablet galaxy 10.1

iinet - speedtest 4mbs ping around 20ms...

Tried the disable harware acceleration on windows machine still bad. 

I'm using Mac OX Mountain Lion. 

I wonder if the Spotify client version is the issue, but I don't think it's a new ersion in the last couple of weeks.

I was also wondering if it might be heavy xmas traffic, but if that was the case you'd think Spotify would say something right?

R

iinet

Perth

OSX 10.8.2

8mb/s down, 1up

Massive buffering issues with premium account. 

Pausing in the middle of tracks.. taking 2mins+ before a song will play.

High quality is OFF.

I guess we should be harassing iinet support? Anyone raised a ticket?

Tested on telstra mobile phone account. iOS5 - no buffering problems EVER. High quality on.

iiNet

Perth

Windows 7

13Mb down, 1 up.

I am a premium account holder

I have been having buffering problems since I launched spotify at 9:30am GMT+8 this morning. It is still unuseable now ~ 2 hours later.

I also have this issue on a paid account. Also on iinet in WA, been happening for about 2 weeks.

I think spotify is awsome, and i would very much be happy to keep paying if they fix this problem.

untill then ill hold on my subscription.

there is a bit of discussion going on at whirlpool about this

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2029356&p=-1&#bottom

Iinet

Perth

9Mb down 0.7Mb up

Win 7

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2394732138.png

Suggested posts