Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify if taking 1.3GB of memory on Windows

Spotify if taking 1.3GB of memory on Windows

Plan: Premium

Device: Lenovo Legion Laptop

Operating System: Windows

My Question or Issue: Spotify is taking up way too much memory. All the sudden my computer froze and when I checked the task manager and I found that it was using 1.3GB all the sudden. 

30 Replies

Hi there @first_time_post,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

We're sorry that you feel this way.

Let us know if we can help you with some troubleshooting when or if you ever come back.

We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'll give vote to also just explore music, add to playlist etc. Memory usage it's like Pacman eating those dots and your score increasing. I don't remember exactly how long the playlist was (maybe 200+ tracks) , but the crash was very easy to replicate ( < 2min) with just sorting playlist.

Win10Pro, 64 bit

Spotify: 1.1.59.714.g7e040462-a

Hey @Blueberry,

Thanks for the post.

Could you share a screen recording of this?

You can attach it to your next post or add a link to an external video sharing platform.

Also, does this happen with a particular playlist, or is it everyone?

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, I haven't managed to make a screen recording that shows both spotify and the memory increase in task manager at the same time. However the issue is easy to reproduce:

1. Open spotify

2. Open task manager next to spotify to keep an eye on memory usage

3. Click on a playlist (any playlist, does not matter how large, however for bigger playlists memory usage seems to increase faster)

4. Start clicking on the "title" column to sort the playlist, and simply keep on clicking

5. Result: memory usage of spotify app increases fast. Sometimes it decreases a little, but in general it keeps on increasing. At some point (for me around 1.5GB) first everything gets very slow, and then the spotify UI goes black and restarts.

Some more info:

- Version 1.1.59.714.g7e040462-a, however I also saw the issue with previous versions with the new GUI

- Problem shows both on the app version from Microsoft Store and from the website, just checked it with a fresh install

I hope this helps in finding the rootcause. I encountered quite some bugs in spotify on windows recently, but I would say this is the most serious one...

Hey there @sajdvbdhjxdzcsd

Thanks for sending us those steps. 

We tried this on our end, but we couldn't replicate it. 

In this case, would you mind sending us a screen recording in which we can see the issue happening so we can take a closer look? Or could you send us some screenshots where we can see the task manager difference when filtering/playing music? Make sure not to send any private info. 

Lastly, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

THIS SOLVED the issue for me, I was having the same exact issue than @gfredhei.

Try heading to the app Settings and toggle the option Local Files on > toggle off all the sources that appear there > toggle Local Files back off.

Doesn't make any sense but it just worked.

Hey @elcoso

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Community 🙂

We're glad to hear that you were able to sort this out. 

Don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up. 

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

me too.. 😭 the UI needs a full overhaul.. its so buggy and sluggish.. need this to be optimized very soon before it is too late.

This memory leak doesn't happen anymore I think but now it's crashing all the time. It's no use posting in this forum. They don't really update you if resolve it or something. Now it's crashing some of the time and when I open it again, I have to go into the task manager and clear all the background processes which are associated with Spotify to make the damn thing start again. They shouldn't have so many bugs right? I don't know.

I had the same problem. Surprisingly, I switched to using Spotify on Firefox, and Spotify RAM usage is stable at below 150MB.

thichtamthat_1-1706144633820.png

From their various "Spotify Engineering" blog posts, it's clear that Spotify engineers don't know what they are doing. For instance, moving their simplistic platform to the Google Cloud some time back. They had to do this as Spotify doesn't have engineers who know how to make what is essentially a very simple content distribution network function well. Even if they wanted to fix the many problems of the desktop clients, they don't have the staff that can do it. Another example is "Spotify HiFi" which Spotify couldn't get working. One more... the recurring rash of "can't play this file" that people run into because the Spotify client is buggy. One could on and on as there are thousands of unfixed issues with the client and service. The answer that more and more people are arriving at is to move to some other platform where there is greater depth of the engineering talent.

Suggested posts