Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify just won't work anymore.

Solved!

Spotify just won't work anymore.

Using Spotify Free on a Windows 10 PC. Spotify always used to work, but I reinstalled it lately since I was running an old version that didn't want to update. And since then, there's been some difficulties. I managed to get Spotify to install however, and it has been working for a few days. Today though, my computer was shut down and of course, Spotify was closed. No problem, right?

No. When the computer loaded back up, Spotify failed to open, citing Error Code 24. I looked up some topics on it, and it seemed the solution would be to reinstall Spotify, making sure it wasn't in AppData. Now, Spotify hasn't been in AppData - it has never worked from AppData, so I've always moved it out of AppData.

So I deleted all the files (even making sure there weren't any in AppData, just in case), and reinstalled Spotify using the online installer. It failed with Error Code 53. A folder named "Spotify" was made in AppData/Roaming, but no files were installed into it.

So I deleted the new folder from Roaming and tried to install Spotify again, this time with the offline installer. This time, files were installed and it failed with Error Code 17, which was fine, I recognized that meant it couldn't launch from AppData from previous attempts.

Now, the files didn't look quite right. It seemed like not all the files were installed. blargh.png

I shrugged it off, moved it to Program Files (x86), and launched Spotify.exe from the folder. Aaand it failed with Error Code 24. This didn't just happen once - I tried it multiple times, even doing the process again as I wrote this to make sure I had the Error Codes correct.

So I'm not sure what to do here. I always use Spotify to listen to music, and the fact that I can't install it online is a bit annoying, but I'm really disappointed by the fact that I can't even run it. Any help?

EDIT: Tried "Retry" on the Error Code 24 message. The "Spotify is Installing" window opened, but nothing happened for roughly 5 minutes. No files were added, removed, or changed in either Roaming or the Spotify folder (still in Program Files (x86)). I ended up closing it with Task Manager, since it seems nothing would come from that.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Yamiash101 

The fact Spotify has never worked from appdata for you sounds a little strange. Do you have a roaming profile (like in corporations, your Windows session and files are stored in a network server instead of the computer)?

Special symbols in the computer's username also gave issues like that, but that was fixed.

You can try uninstalling the client you have right now, downloading the offline installer, placing it on the C drive (not %appdata%) and running the installation from there. Does it work?

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Yamiash101 

The fact Spotify has never worked from appdata for you sounds a little strange. Do you have a roaming profile (like in corporations, your Windows session and files are stored in a network server instead of the computer)?

Special symbols in the computer's username also gave issues like that, but that was fixed.

You can try uninstalling the client you have right now, downloading the offline installer, placing it on the C drive (not %appdata%) and running the installation from there. Does it work?

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It worked! Thanks a ton for the help, now I can get back to listening to music! 😄

Suggested posts