Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not playing a song.

Spotify not playing a song.

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Series 5 Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have been having an issue with playng songs lately. Whenever I search a song, or a song that is not in my library or playlist, it doesn't want to play. It displays the name and picture of the song, but it is unable to play it. If anyone has a solution to this, please tell me. Thank you for reading this topic.

Spotify.PNG
10 Replies

I am having this very same issue, the only way to solve this problem temporarily is to clear out the cache folder however the problem does return quite quickly.

feelsBADman. I really do wish we knew the solution, I wanted to check some music out, but this bug had to be in the way.

I have the same error with the app in Windows with the two latest versions 1.0.98 and 1.0.99 (updated today).

I hate auto updates because when there is an error we can't install the previous versions we know works good. Please SPOTIFY stop auto updates!!!

@MetalRedHeavy wrote:

I have the same error with the app in Windows with the two latest versions 1.0.98 and 1.0.99 (updated today).

I hate auto updates because when there is an error we can't install the previous versions we know works good. Please SPOTIFY stop auto updates!!!

I feel you dude.

I also have this exact same issue and I have attempted fresh installs more than twice now. I am running windows 8.1 and my plan is premium. It still allows me to play music from any of my playlists or any playlist on the homepage, but songs that I search for or I want to listen to through an Artist's page will not play.

I should also mention that this is not an issue for me on Spotify Mobile, but I was, however, unable to even use Spotify Web at all.

I'm having the same problem on Windows. I should also note several other potentially related things I've noticed. 

First: it seems that any songs already in a playlist do still work for some reason.

Second: I cannot add non-working songs to existing playlists, or make new playlists out of them.

Third: I uninstalled and reinstalled the pc Spotify App, which temporarily fixed the problem, but now its back again.

Finally: the web player is not working for any songs.

Where do I find the cache folder to empty it out?

Additionally, I think this problem re-occured after I allowed spotify to update, after having previously re-installed it.

@MartynStaalsen wrote:

I'm having the same problem on Windows. I should also note several other potentially related things I've noticed. 

First: it seems that any songs already in a playlist do still work for some reason.

Second: I cannot add non-working songs to existing playlists, or make new playlists out of them.

Third: I uninstalled and reinstalled the pc Spotify App, which temporarily fixed the problem, but now its back again.

Finally: the web player is not working for any songs.

this is my exact same problem, no clue what's causing it and reinstalling spotify is only a temporary fix... also

Where do I find the cache folder to empty it out?

if youre using the desktop version click the V arrow next to your name, go to settings, scroll down then click show advanced settings, scroll down to offline songs storage and go to where it says.

ex: C:\users\[yourname]\appdata\local\spotify\storage or wherever you have it set to, then delete the storage folder

Suggested posts