Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not playing music after being on Pause for a long time, Spotify not responding after closing

Spotify not playing music after being on Pause for a long time, Spotify not responding after closing

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7 64-bit

My Question or Issue

It has been a month or two since I started having issues with the Spotify desktop application and the most annoying one is Spotify not playing music after being on pause for a long while (no idea for how long but surely +30min-1hour).

When I press the play button nothing happens except Spotify showing me the song is playing by changing the Play icon to Pause when clearly the time bar is not moving or it is playing on mute even tho I have volume on from my speakers/headphones, Windows and Spotify.

Sometimes when I'm changing audio devices between my speakers and headphones from Windows the song I'm listening to gets stuck in a 1-3s loop of the spot in the song when I changed devices which means I have to restart Spotify and this issue is limited to Spotify, no other program on my PC does this.

Another issue when starting up Spotify is when started up again Spotify starts off from a song on an album/playlist I haven't listened for weeks instead of the last one I listened to (this also happens only on PC, Android is fine).

Last issue, when I have to close and open Spotify normally (pressing X and pressing the Shortcut on my toolbar) Spotify pops out an annotation that the Spotify application isn't responding and this loop can go for quite a while.

I also happened to notice that there are multiple Spotify.exes running in Task Manager and yes I saw the post that these are application and backgroup processess but does it explain why I got 2-3 Spotify icons in my hidden icons list or the amount of ram these processes are using?

I have reinstalled Spotify two times during these two months but the issues are not getting solved. I have considered reinstalling Windows but that's a lot of work to get all my programs back up and running for issues caused by a single applications whichs job is to play audio.

hiddenicons&taskmanager.png
4 Replies

This is happening to me on my Samsung note 9 while using headphones and also on my bluetooth motorcycle headset. Is there a resolution to this as I believe it is a software issue since the last update

I've been having the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy s9. If my music is pasued for longer than 1 minute, regardless of whether my phone is locked or unlocked or if I'm using bluetooth or a Jack, it simply will not resume until I open the app. Very frustrating.

I left Amazon music because their service ended up being poor. If this isnt sorted soon I will leave and find another app as its really starting to annoy me. It's been fine for months and now this. When I am on my bike, and often have to pause it, I then struggle to get it restarted without getting the phone out.... not easy on a bike!

I totally get that. I have Sony noise cancelling headphones (not cheap) and
they have touch controls on the earmuffs. Kind of defeats the purpose of
having fancy touch controls if I have to go into my phone anyway...it
sounds like such a small problem when you say it out loud, but it's very
aggravating nonetheless

Suggested posts