Free

Country

Turkey

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I’ve been using Spotify on my desktop computer. And I tend to listen to my songs from A to Z. I list them from A to Z, never shuffle.

Lately, whenever a song is finished or I skip that song, instead of playing the next song, it starts playing a random song from a random album from my Library. It doesn’t change to shuffle mode, it just starts playing a very random song.

For example, if I’m playing Never There by Cake, the next song should be Never Too Late by Kylie according to my A to Z list. But when Never There is finished, Spotify decides to play an Oasis album from the first song to the last, and when that album is finished, it plays another Oasis album or very randomly, switches to Janet Jackson albums…

Sometimes, it plays songs I’ve removed from my Library many months ago…

And it never lets me play another song, or skip. It keeps playing albums. I can’t change the song, I can only stop the already playing song or start it.

I solve this issue by uninstalling and re-installing the app but it happens again after a day or two. And I’m getting tired of this. I don’t know what causes this weird phenomenon. I am at the point of not being able to listen to any song I want.

8 Replies

Hey @user-removed 

That's pretty weird!

Since you mentioned that reinstall temporarily causes the issue to go away, I'd suggest giving clean reinstall a try. This will also remove the files otherwise left behind when you just uninstall the app. Check this out on how to do that!

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Sebasty wrote:

Hey @user-removed 

That's pretty weird!

Since you mentioned that reinstall temporarily causes the issue to go away, I'd suggest giving clean reinstall a try. This will also remove the files otherwise left behind when you just uninstall the app. Check this out on how to do that!

Let me know how you get on 🙂

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried that many times. I see that some users also have similar problems. Maybe it'san update issue... I don't know.

Hi there Chune!

Did you recently switch to the free service? Based on your description it sounds like you are on the free tier.

With Spotify Free, the app suggests tracks and artists for your playlists as you create and edit them. 

@user-removed 

Alright, thank you for letting me know 🙂

If I understood right, you're playing from "Your Saved Songs" in your library. Do you have them sorted in any way?

You can also try signing out everywhere and unlink all offline devices on your account page. Maybe that will help 🙂

Let me know how things go!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have always been a free user. And yes, I'm playing from my saved songs. I sort them in alphabetical order usually. But since this problem stared, it doesn't matter how I sort them, it just shuffles the songs however it likes...
I tried everything and I'm about to give up I guess...

I just had a very frustrating, massively drawn-out experience with customer service about this. Basically, there is no fix. There is a workaround, though:

1. Create a new playlist.

2. Move all of your Liked Songs onto that playlist.

3. Play from that playlist to avoid automatic shuffle, which can't be turned off if you're playing directly from Liked Songs.

It's possible that this is an issue with you being a Free user vs. a Premium user. My understanding is that Free users aren't able to turn off shuffle in certain circumstances. I was having this issue as a Premium member, however, so it might  not matter what kind of account you have.

I'm having exactly the same issue.

And I'm a paid user.

It only happens on "Liked Music", not on Playlists.

Tried to reinstall and, as you said, it only worked for a couple days before the bug happened again.

Yeah, it seems the problem won't be solved.
I sacrified my years worth of streams and statistics and deleted my account, transferred all my songs to a new one. It seems to be OK for now. I hope it won't happen again. So frustrating...

Suggested posts