Spotify's latest update on PC crashes my system

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

India

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

My Question or Issue

The latest update on PC and Windows Store platforms causes immense lag in my PC. A part of a song starts playing in a loop and the cursor doesn't move at all or moves at a snail's pace. The browser becomes unresponsive and I have no option but to kill the Spotify process through Task Manager. I'm currently stuck with the Web Player, which works flawlessly...however, I prefer the PC app's interface to the Web Player's. Please resolve my issue. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You mentioned that you installed the app version from our website. We recommend that you give the one from the Microsoft Store a try, since it's best optimized for Windows 10. It's a good idea to remove the current one with a clean reinstall and afterwards double check that Hardware Acceleration and the scan for local files are again disabled.

Keep us posted if the issues still comes up.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey there @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Here are some things you can try:

• Disabling/enabling the Hardware acceleration Setting. 
  • Starting the app in Windows 8 compatibility mode.
  • Doing a clean reinstall of the app, by following exactly the steps in this Guide. Afterwards download the app from our website, instead of the MS store.

Let us know if the app is still unusable afterwards.

Keep us posted 🙂

AlexModerator

Thanks for responding, Alex! I'm sorry but I've tried all your methods, but the issue still seems to persist. I hope the devs resolve this issue in the next update.

Hey @Nightwing2994,

It's possible tat the lag you experience is due to the app scanning your device for local files to import. Could you navigate to the Local Files Section of the Setting Menu and enable Show Local Files? Afterwards deactivate everything below Show songs from and lastly deactivate both Show songs from and Show Local File. Make sure to restart your device afterwards.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

Thanks for responding, Mihail. I'm afraid the problem still persists. I've found a temporary solution by keeping an older version of the desktop app from December 2020 and enabling the "minimize to tray" option to prevent Spotify from restarting and updating.

Hey @Nightwing2994,

We'd love to investigate this further, since our wish is that you enjoy the latest version of the app with all fixes and improvement that come with it.

We'd appreciate it if you share the make, model, OS version and Spotify version on the devices where this issue occurs.

It would also be helpful if you could borrow a friend or family members account ,log in on that PC and check if it appears there as well.

Keep us posted, we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Alright, Mihail!
Device: Lenovo 80e3 with AMD E1-6010 (and AMD Radeon R2 1.35ghz Graphics), 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro (Version 20H2)
Spotify Desktop (from the website) Versions 1.1.51.382 and 1.1.52.687 both suffer from this issue.

Hi @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for the info.

Have you tried to log in with another account on your PC and see if the latest version of the app is still crashing.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I've tried with another account—the issue still persists.

Hi @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for the info.

Another thing you can try is removing any entries that contain Spotify from your host files. Follow the steps described in this Solution.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

AlexModerator

Nope, I can't find any entries related to "spotify" or "fastlylb". All I can do right now is periodically delete the update folder from AppData every now and then.

Marked as solution

Hey @Nightwing2994,

You mentioned that you installed the app version from our website. We recommend that you give the one from the Microsoft Store a try, since it's best optimized for Windows 10. It's a good idea to remove the current one with a clean reinstall and afterwards double check that Hardware Acceleration and the scan for local files are again disabled.

Keep us posted if the issues still comes up.

Mihail Moderator

Thank you, Mihail! I'll try that and get back to you. 🙂

Hey there, Mihail! Hope you're having a nice day, because you sure do deserve one—I performed a clean uninstall of the desktop app and installed the Microsoft Store version and it works flawlessly! I will test the app for another day or two and update you on the performance—after which I'll mark it as a solution. Thank you so much!

Hey there @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for bearing with us.

We're so glad to know that it was sorted out for you!

Take your time to test it and feel free to reach back out if you have any questions or need a hand with anything else.

Have a good one 🙂

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey there, Carlos. It's been a while since I've begun using the Microsoft Store client, following your suggestion. All is well now, and I haven't faced any problems at all. I've accepted your answer as the solution to my problem, and I thank you once again. Convey my thanks to Mihail and Alex for helping out, too.
Best wishes,
Arj

Hey @Nightwing2994,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Happy to hear it worked out and everything is running smoothly again.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts