Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops after each local song

Solved!

Spotify stops after each local song

Hello,

I've got a problem with playing local files in spotify. After each song it stops playing. This weirdly enough is only the case for local songs and not for steamed songs.
I think it might have something to do with a windows update. When I found out, two days ago, I recovered my system to the state before the windows update, and then it worked again. Last night it automatically updated windows and same problem of not continuous playing occured again.

Someone with a solution? It is really annoying! 

Cheers!

292 Replies

@dvdv wrote:

Why did it take so long for this problem to be reported to the right team?  This is ridiculous.  This problem has been around for months (as evidenced by the multiple threads on the board and tweets to SpotifyCares) and theres no way you guys have been unaware of it.  Could some higher up from the company please issue an official statement?  How do you guys expect to compete with other streaming services (and Apple for that matter) with such embarassingly bad customer service?

This problem had already been reported a couple of months ago, as I stated here. This problem seems very hard to nail down in terms of specifics - There's no one test case we can pin down our end, but we're getting some ideas about what might be happening. As soon as we find something, we'll let you know.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Thanks, David.

We're all very frustrated and angry, and I'm sure you and your coworkers are frustrated too, unable to figure out what the root cause is. I appreciate your communication, especially over the last few days, where it seems the pace has picked up a bit in this thread.

All we want is to listen to our music without interruption! 😛 Any possible way we can help you, please let us know.

Posting here so that I can get an email when someone replies to this thread. I've had this problem for months. It's hard to believe that someone posted in July about it and it's still a major issue.

I have the issue, mentioned in another thread but cross linked, where my online queue plays fine for an hour or so and then goes silent. The time period is random but seemed to get worse over time one night when I really din't want to keep jumping off the massage table and restarting it. Sounds like the same issue, but I'm adding my two cents.

I may have a solution for this.

You either need to reinstall Windows Media Player or download the player if you're running an N-version of windows. Following is a link for Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546&hash=r8URdPLLdIu8pJ5bt2oM%2f7FBVCy9bct...

This resolved the issue for me, hope it works for you guys as well.

Hi Dereth, I just tried your solution uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player and it didn't work. 😞

I'm almost afraid to ask this... But does anybody have any news regarding this issue? 😐

Just a quick bump up - Anyone still running into this on a regular basis? Dawntje, I take it you are?
Airhorn Enthusiast

Yes. I still have this problem.

yes.

still the same issue.

Hi all,
long ago I reported this problem, and so far nothing has been resolved ... Even after I've done : Reinstall spotify, deleting my personal MP3 then reinstall in a new directory for security reasons.
Will it really I do not listen to my own MP3 ? Or agreeing to play with next and previous buttons ?
Please, thank's for your help ^^

Yes, having exact same issue, now some 6 months after it was first reported I think.

Yes, David. I definitely am.

Ok, thanks guys. Someone internal asked if we had seen anything on this recently and wanted to check. I've already let them know. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

I posted on this issue a long time ago - since then my year long Spotify Premium subscription ran out - I kept it going for a few months for my phone's access - then I learned how to sync local files to my phone via Spotify and downgraded to the lower tier to skip ads but save some penga - but this bug drove me back into the arms of the Apple - I ended up faffing about with iSync and Rocketplayer and it's not ideal - if you could sort this out I'd be so happy. I'm now on a Brand new PC - Windows 8 - but the music is sill on the same HDD - I voided my warranty and popped my trusty 2gb music drive in within hours of receiving it . All the local files I play are on my E:\ drive - nothing is on C:\ except Windows and other apps. It has the same drive letter as my previous installation - I did wonder if changing the letter would have any effect, but really can't be bothered having to restructure my iTunes library and podcasts again. The drive is formatted NTFS, the affected files are a mix of MP3, iTunes tracks,  and unprotected iTunes music files ripped from my own CDs.

So David, how close are we to a solution?

hello,

same problem and desapointment here in france (this precision to excuse my english).

and this added to the end of the possibility of buying music makes me reconsidering the use of spotify unlimited : i recently had to go to deezer to buy new albums...

after reading this other thread (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Spotify-always-stops-playing-music-after... i even tried to remove part of my music but it changed nothing.

btw, i also recently found that strangly enough spotify doesn't display all of my music, though everything is in one main directory : in some random cases, albums folders are by-passed and the songs do not appear in the listing  - don't know if there may be any link.

any idea ?

David, are you serious?!?! Your answer really pisses me off!!!

This thread started july 2012, continusly more and more people are reporting the same issue. Late january 2013 you ask if this problem still exists. You simply don't take this issue serious.

28 november I told you how to reproduce this error:

I previously posted this issue is solved for me by upgrading to Windows 8. Guess what!? The problem has come back for me just after a few weeks.

I'm suspecting Ace Mega Codec Pack has something to do with it, since I installed it last week and I noticed the problem first today (not listened to local files since then).

So PLEASE Spotify, try installing Ace mega codec pack (found here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/ACE-Mega-CoDecS-Pack.s... and se if you now can reproduce the error...

-----------------

If you took this issue serious you would at least try the above suggestions. (To clarify: If you install Ace mega codec pack this problem do appear. After an uninstall of the codec pack Spotify manage to play local files without interuption again. So this is a codec-problem (I don't know wich codec though, but some codec that's bundled in the Ace mega codec pack) in Spotify (other MP3-players can play my local files continuesly without any problem with Ace mega codec pack installed)

I do not know how to say it more clear than in my prevoius post 28 november....

So AGAIN!!!! Do install Ace Mega codec pack, you should be able to reproduce the bug.

This time I expect you to try it out.... (as I also expected the first time).

*sigh*

I want so badly to like Spotify, but then there's this thread...

hey ! i found a way to listen to my local songs !

i'm using windows media player... and such a shame for spotify, it works.

well that was just to keep the pressure, cause i hate wmp - and hate even more the idea of using two players, one for the streaming and one for the local files, as i can't mix local and distant playlists...

Suggested posts