Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops after each local song

Solved!

Spotify stops after each local song

Hello,

I've got a problem with playing local files in spotify. After each song it stops playing. This weirdly enough is only the case for local songs and not for steamed songs.
I think it might have something to do with a windows update. When I found out, two days ago, I recovered my system to the state before the windows update, and then it worked again. Last night it automatically updated windows and same problem of not continuous playing occured again.

Someone with a solution? It is really annoying! 

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solution: It worked for me, and i have tested most things in this forum. I got this problem when i deleted a mega codec folder because i thought it wasn't something i needed... So i figured it most be something with the codecs. Found this and tested it and it worked.

Download K lite mega codec pack. During install if something about removing other codec packs or broken codecs from the registry comes up click yes. Maybe for those who upgraded to windows 8 got their codecs broken and thats why they got this problem.

Download link:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htm

Hope it works for you guys! Since this is a very annoying problem. Good thing is it doesn't require to download old versions.

Edit: Seems like the problem was the broken codecs so install it and remove the broken codecs. Either do it during install or using the codec tweaking tool after install. Can probably be uninstalled after removing the broken codecs.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

So I finally installed the media feature pack from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

It contains the codecs you'll need for spotify and fixed the problem for me. This should be the first thing you try if you run into any troubles with codecs. Many codec pack out there tend to create more problems than they solve so be careful!

Sincerely

Richard

Marked as solution

I found that on all my  devices (laptop, android or ipod)  that spotify stops after the playback of certain local files .   always on  the same files ,

These Files have all one thing in common .  the length info for that track seems sort of mixed up in any form.  

The length shown in spotify didn't match the length in the mp3 tag AND/OR the actual length in the mp3 tag even didin't match the actual time length of the song .    On some Songs I could fix it using MP3Diags . changing the length info in the mp3 file .

But still for some tracks, I couldn't . The Problem seems to have different issues.   But the  root of the problem seems to be the interpretation of the track length in Spotify .

But nevertheless      ALL .... I mean  ALLLLLL  other Media Players  ( MediaPlayer / VLC Player / itunes /  on PC or mobile decive )  are cabable of playing these exact  tracks with no problem at all !!!!!!!

In Crossfade Mode or not .  Does'nt matter .    I mean, these are my old itunes Tracks, that I had in my Playlists  on my Ipod / Laptop / mobile Android device all the last years with no problems at all )      I find it a very poor performance for a 10 EUR / month  service .

The purpose of a playlist is, that you have CONTINUOUSLY Music Playback !!!!!!!!!!!   isn't it   ????

Marked as solution

I've just updated Spotify on my Android phone to Version 2.3.0.828

This has fixed the problem for me and local files now play without stopping between tracks.

Well done Spotify. Thank you!

292 Replies

No one with a possible solution? It is really annoying me, since I cannot play more than one song in a row without going to Spotify to click the next song. 

Any advice or possible solution is more than welcome!

Thanks a lot!

I have the same problem. Please, Can anyone help us?

I use Windows 7 Home premium and spotify version is 0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f.

I have the same problem, but local files stops playing randomly not after every song

I might have a sollution.

I reinstalled Quicktime and downloaded latest Spotify from the website. Now I have Spotify version 0.8.4.107. I have been able to listen three times longer my local files without any problems.

Hope this helps others.

Hi, 

I'm also having this problem. Have updated Quicktime and installed latest Spotify (0.8.4.107) and nothing has changed. Playback stops after every local file. "Now Playing" icon and window moves to next song, but it doesn't start. To manually get the track to start I need to click onto another track, then click back to the one I want. Echoing thoughts above, problem does seem to have started since latest Windows update. I'm on Vista 6.0.

Paultoon

Reinstalled Quicktime as well and latest version of Spotify is present, but no results for me either...unfortunately

Have the exact same problem as described by Paultoon. Goes to next track, but won't start. First have to go to another track before I can play the next in row. 
I'm running windows 7, 64 bits btw.  

Paultoon : "Playback stops after every local file. "Now Playing" icon and window moves to next song, but it doesn't start. To manually get the track to start I need to click onto another track, then click back to the one I want."

This is exactly my problem.

Ok, don't ask me why and how, but it seems like my problem has been solved. As far as I know no updates of windows and/or spotify in the past couple of days, but it suddenly works again. Strange...but makes me happy to be able to listen to more than one song in a row 😉
More people with a sudden solution for the problem? 

Hmm, no, the problem still persists for me. Are you sure nothing has automatically updated on your system that might have "fixed" it BasB?

Disappointing that Spotify is yet to comment on this thread, always seemed to respond at Get Satisfaction.

Hmm...I have to admit, I cheered too early. Now it again stop after every other song :s But it's more random than before. Some songs do play one after the other automatically. 
About updates I can not tell. Windows updated the 16 for the last time so that can't be it. Furthermore I don't know.
But indeed, it would be helpful if Spotify would respond to this problem, sime we are not the only one with this problem. 

Just to add a little more information, the problem exists regardless of whether shuffle, repeat, gapless playback, or crossfade are selected, as I've tried all combinations.

Hello.

Where are you playing these files from? From a search or from the Local Files folder?

In terms of codecs, generally installing Quicktime get it working just fine again. However, you might also want to try ensuring the following is installed too - http://www.free-codecs.com/mpeg_layer_3_codec_download.htm

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi David, I usually play from playlists, but have tried it in the Local Files folder and from searches and the problem is exactly the same. I've installed latest Quicktime and the latest codecs, but that hasn't made any difference. Attached is a screenshot: so it this example I'm playing The Beatles from a playlist. Day Tripper has just played, and although "now playing" moves on to Nowhere Man, Nowhere Man doesn't start to play:

Spotify local files playback problem

I imagine you've already tried this, but couldn't seem to find any mention of it - Have you tried unchecking "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in the preferences menu? 

Airhorn Enthusiast

I hadn't tried that, but have now, and it still doesn't work unfortunately.

I had similar problems when playing local files. Spotify would not only stop playing, it would freeze completely so I had to shut down Spotify and start it again. What I did was uninstall spotify and install it again. After doing that I have not had any problems playing local files in Spotify (at least not yet).

Ive had the exact same problems for over a month now.  Every solution proposed by on this board and by the Spotify Cares twitter feed hasn't worked.  They're now claiming that it'll hopefully be fixed with the next update to the player.  Spotify clearly has no idea how to fix this problem.  Im giving them another few weeks based on how much I was enjoying the program up until now but Im guessing te days of me giving this company my money are numbered.

Tried all the above possible solutions as well, without any result Smiley Sad

I have the same problem, and have tried all the suggested fixes in this thread.

Just raising my hand, I guess.

Suggested posts