Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

Solved!

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

About a couple days ago my spotify decided it wasn't going to open. I click on the application, it bounces up and down but doesn't open. when I right click it, it comes up with 'application not responding'. I've just tried removing it and reinstalling it. the box with spotify in it appears and the spotify icon comes up again but still doesn't open. How can i fix this?

217 Replies
Marked as solution

So this worked for me see below.

1. Start "Task Manager" by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  "Task Manager" should pop up or you will be prompted to select it

2.  In "Task Manager" select the processes tab and scroll down until you reach processes involved with Spotify.  For example, spotify.exe.

3. Select and end each process by clicking on the process and then clicking the end process button near the bottom right corner of "Task Manager"

4. Once these processes disappear from the list reopen spotify the way you are accustomed to.

Ok

What if I tell you that there is no Spotify process on my task manager?

I really don't know what to do... I've tried everything 😞

worked for me thank you!!!

Ive not been able to use my Spotify for months now having 10.6.8

Ive been paying for premium service all this time

I cant find a way to contact spotify

its really annoying

I want action asap pleaese!!!

I tried moving to trash and trash will not empty with the app in it.

I'm getting the same problem as well. But when I go to App Data, I'm unable to delete the Spotify files because it says they're in use. I've tried deleting these folders but all attempts are denied..... any ideas? 

Hi!

I just wanted to say, I had the same issue today on my Windows 7 x64.

I resolved this issue by going into the windows task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) And then under the "processes" tab I localized any active Spotify activity there (basicly anything with spotify in its name), I then simply right clicked on them and clicked "End process tree". Then I re-opened spotify and it worked perfectly fine. 🙂

Good luck!

I'm having the exact same problem (Newest version of Spotify on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit). It won't open, and says "The Application is not responding". Reinstalling it does not help at all. Neither does killing the spotify processes in task manager.

The ONLY "solution" (It's really not  solution though, but works temporarily) I've found is to leave Spotify open each time I shut down/restart my computer. You can obviously minimize it or whatever, but just don't close the program. When you turn on your computer, it should be open, the way you left it. At least that works on my computer!

Hope this can be helpful 🙂

Forgot to mention that I reinstall it first - then keep it open

Hi,

I know this thread is kinda old, but I found a solution to this issue, at least for windows 7. If you find your original download and istallation file for spotify in your download history and re-run the "spotifySetup.exe" it will automatically re-install the program and open it for you. Hope this helps!

None if these solutions work for me. I've tried to kill the process under Task Manager, I've tied using the Stop-Process command in Powershell to no avail. Nothing I can do save for a reboot will allow me to kill the Spotify.exe process.

Windows 7 x64 box btw.

I am cancelling my subscription as this it really isn't worth it anymore.

I should note, every single time the computer goes to sleep, Spotify crashes.

Yeah it really does work thanks 🙂

Thanks, it worked like magic!

thanks it worked perfectly

It worked for me! Thanks!

Thanks so much for asking this worked for me

tried this but it wont open says its still running yet theres nothing labed spotify in the task maneger cant uninstall either becuase it thinks its still open

It worked!

Hey,

I had the same problem. Every night, I would put my computer to sleep while having the application open and when i woke it up, the application would not respond. I would close it and try to open it again only to recieve the error "Application not responding." I figured this is the same thing happening to you. The only way I've found to fix this problem other than closing the app and restarting my computer is to go into task manager. If you closed the application, you won't see spotify.exe running. However, if you look into Background Processes, you will see several Spotify related processes. If i recall correctly, one even says Spotify Crash Report, or something of that nature. Close ALL related processes, INCLUDING all Background Processes that have Spotfiy somewhere in the name. Just click on the process and select end process. After you've done this, try opening the app again. Hopefully, with some luck, it should open right up without a hitch. Hope this helps. 

Thanks so much!

You have to go to task manager and click more details and find spotfiy and end the tasks.

Suggested posts