Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play any new song I try to play.

Solved!

Spotify won't play any new song I try to play.

Every time I try to play a song that just got released or I've never played for, the song doesn't play (bar not moving, cover art, artist, and song name all missing in bottom left). Any song in my library or previously saved play perfectly, only new songs see this problem. Specific examples are "Dreamcatcher" by Travis Scott and Swae Lee, and "On the Run" by Young Thug and Offset. This problem has only occurred recently. It should also be noted that, when I right-click on one of the song's that won't play, the options of "Go to Artist" and "Go to Album" are greyed out.

Song is shown as playing, but isn't.Song is shown as playing, but isn't.

Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15ISK

Windows 10

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @spyroskara and others!

That's quite weird!

I noticed some of you having issues with Friend Feed and Daily Mixes. I'd suggest you to look into your hosts file as it has been the culprit before.
It might also be the cause for the main issue you're having:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.

If it didn't help, can you try if this happens on different devices too (another Windows/mac device)?

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

29 Replies

Having the same issue

Same problem, and I've had it since roughly Monday.

I've had this issue for the past 3 weeks. My solution is re-installing Spotify, it works until I restart my computer then the issue reoccurs.

Try to update via "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

same to me, but also with old songs, i noticed that it still plays all the songs i have in my playlists

(windows 7)

Capture15-11-2018-11.20.48.jpg

I see you're also having issues with the friend feed. Same issue here, as well as with the topic of discussion. I hope you find a solution.

I'm upping recent threads on this issue, because it's driving me crazy too. Tried everything. Reinstall, web player, firewall, router boot. Nothing works. Only previously playlisted songs are playing.

Good wishes for eveyone

Here to confirm this. My friend also has this so reporting for him having this as well.

Same problem.

Update what exactly?

Having the same exact problem here, which really sucks. I have become a sort of casual 'DJ' for some friends as they play games. But it sucks as I can't keep expanding my music library if I am unable to play anything that is not a saved playlist or song. I have done an absolute full reinstall, and it still persists.

I think it's the weirdest thing though, artist's music shows up even though I can't play it but if I open up a playlist full of music I have not saved it is absolutely empty like no one added music to the playlist. Does that for playlists Spotify has made for the front page and playlists like Spotify Discover.

Screenshot (144).png
Screenshot (145).png
Screenshot (146).png

OK, I found a solution!

I downgraded my Spotify to an version, that is aproximately 1 month old. You'll find many old versions on the internet.

So far so good. Everything works, even after several restarts.

How do I go about downgrading, then?

Please! Is there anyone from Spotify to help us?

I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I only can play music mix from the home page... nothing else. I cannot read the music i'm looking for.

And ALL my playlists has disappeared.... It took me several years to build and store my playlist... and today, everything has just vanished all of sudden!

Of course, I've reinstalled Spotify client, but nothing changed. Sans titre.jpg

thanks, this worked for me. 

I'm not sure, if I am allowed to post links. Just google it. You'll find also videos on YouTube on how to downgrade. Also make sure to create the needed files in the folder to prevent Spotify from updating itself again.

Daily mix won't work too.

I've installed an older version and works for now. Also blocked updates as told here.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Tutorial-stop-auto-update-and-use-old-client-and-sk...

Same problem here. Updated to latest version today and nothing plays anymore.

Marked as solution

Hey, @spyroskara and others!

That's quite weird!

I noticed some of you having issues with Friend Feed and Daily Mixes. I'd suggest you to look into your hosts file as it has been the culprit before.
It might also be the cause for the main issue you're having:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.

If it didn't help, can you try if this happens on different devices too (another Windows/mac device)?

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts